Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Oxidation Removal

Hello. I recently purchased a '74 911. The car was repainted about 10 years ago with a color coat only. In general, the paint is solid, but it is oxidized. I hesitate to call it severe, but the oxidation is pretty bad. The pics I have of the car are in poor light, so I don't have anything decent to post right now. I've researched a few products to remove the oxidation, but would like to know what has worked for everyone else. Any help on products and/or method is appreciated.

Also, what is a good product to thoroughly clean and protect the targa top. My first inclination is to use Armor-All, but I thought I'd ask for opinions.

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2002, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I would take it to a detail guy who can machine buff it. That will take car of your oxidaton and give you a fresh start to maintain. Those buffing machines can become dangerous weapons in the wrong hands, trust me!
Old 06-24-2002, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

On the topic of targa care, I use Meguiars Vinyl and Rubber Treatment. I've never cared for Armor All, myself - and silicone-based products are considered a no-no these days.

As for curing your oxidation, machine-buffing will be needed - something from Meguiars or Mothers should do fine. BigB is right that you can damage your paint more with a buffer, but I feel it's worth giving it a try. My suggestion is to get a cheap buffer, one with a low maximum rpm and weak engine. The biggest problems with buffers is the risk of using too much pressure to burn your paint, especially on the edges. With a cheap buffer, it's so weak that when you exert too much pressure it simply stops turning - an nice failsafe for when you're learning.

Emanuel
Old 06-24-2002, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Oxidation....
I would like to suggest you try 3M Fine Cut Rubbing compound 1500 grit.The 1500 grit is the one in the small grey bottle and costs about 7 dollars at Wal-mart or Pep Boys.Use a dry cotton towel and pick a small spot and use varying degrees of pressure till you notice the oxidation start to come off, you have to be careful though, if you rub too hard for too long you will get to the paint, once you have the feel proceed to the rest of the car.I suggest you follow this with either Mothers cleaner wax or 3M Imperial Hand Glaze.This WILL work if done properly, I have used this on quite a few Porsches a 73 911S, an 84 928, a couple of 88 911's. Red tends to get oxidized quicker than most of the other colors.I am not a fan of power tools, you can get into troulbe quicker with power.If by chance this does not work, power will be required, get a professional to do this, that way it is warrantied.
Take your time, change your towel often, when the oxidation starts to come off it looks like paint so don't get excitied just stop and buff out the compound and have a close look.Hey, this will only cost you about 15.00 in supplies, about 4 or 5 hours of your time.I charge 200.00 for this, you are saving quite a bit !
Good luck !

Targa Top...
I highly recommend Meguiars Endurance.
This stuff works wonders for targa tops and those big rear rubber bumper guards .Works great on tires too !
This stuff will run if not wiped off with a clean rag after application on tires.I use the eagle One tire applicator and a household sponge for the Targa top.

Last edited by chuckr; 06-24-2002 at 07:05 PM..
Old 06-24-2002, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies.

I'm going to try and get the bulk of the oxidation off this weekend.

I'll try and post some before/after pics.
Old 06-25-2002, 05:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Just wanted to let you guys know that I got most of the oxidation off using the 3M Fine Cut Rubbing Compund. I used hand power and really never felt like I was endangering the paint.

I still have some work to do on the front hood, since it was the worst. I went over it twice and then put on a coat of wax (my arm is about to fall off, so more work on the hood will have to wait awhile).

Thanks for all the great advice!
Old 07-01-2002, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Its hard work but also a lobor of love. Good luck and post pics when it done!
Old 07-01-2002, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: