Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Wer bremst verliert

Replicating factory iner fender and tank texture & black coating?

I have a 1971 fully stripped back to bare metal. There was almost no rust, just a couple of spots on the runners and in the headlight buckets. Everything else was solid, neither the shop not I had seen anything like it before!

In any case, I'm taking the car back as close to concours as practical and am looking for the proper products and sequence to replicate the inner wheel well coatings, as well as the gas tank.

Did the factory paint the cars in separate pieces ( ie fenders off?) then assemble and apply the textured black coating in the wheel wells?

What are the proper modern products available to replicate those finishes?

Thanks
1978 911 3.0 Lichtbau toy "Gretchen"
1971 911 Targa S backroad toy
Old 12-22-2012, 04:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Perfection. . .from the workshop of Series900, New Hampshire - Page 3
Old 12-22-2012, 05:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

John
who porsche painted the cars are with all the panels in place but with stand off brackets to do so . this way the bolt on panels stay with the cars . the doors hood and engine lid are bolted on the car but with the stand off brackets .so for you to copy the way porsche did it is pointless so you can paint the panels like that off the car again posche has little bracket as to not let the door close all the way and hit the cars body .

the beige chip guard is applyed before the car is painted you can see this by the way you have to cut the chip guard away from the fenders to remove them the fenders are bolter in place as they should sit once the car is finished . also the chip guard on the rockers will show this too .

if your car has a black chip guard then that was put there by some other than porsche if you look at the under side of the floor and star to remove the chip guard you will see the right color .
the down side is no one make that color any more the solvent based beige is no longer available . when i found out they were no longer going to make the solvet based chip guard that color i bought as many cases as i could it's worth more than gold and i only use it in cars that are show quality . for the rest i use the water based the color is close but not perfict .

as for your fuel tank i did find a way to refinish them just the way that porsche did with the right color gray chip guard . the down side is i do not shire how i do them !
but you can just E-primer the tank and then spray the chip guard over the E-primer and then top coat the chip guard with the mat color gray paint .is it the way they are done at porsche NO but for the most part that is the only way shops can do them now .
Old 12-22-2012, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Wer bremst verliert

Thanks guys, very helpful.

Is there a definitive list of the surfaces which got the Schutz treatment first? With it all blasted back to metal and 8,000 miles away now I cant scratch around it to make the list. I am giving instructions to the shop remotely from this point forward until late Jan when I want to pick it up glass-in and paint finished.

1. Front wheel well inner fenders & body tub
2. Rear wheel well body tub and inside fenders
3. Body underside
4. I recall some around the engine compartment?
5. Anywhere else?

Thanks guys!
1978 911 3.0 Lichtbau toy "Gretchen"
1971 911 Targa S backroad toy
Old 12-22-2012, 11:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

john i hate to say this but if you have to tell the shop on how to do the resto to the replicate what porsche did you may have brought your car to the wrong shop . they may do great work but if they don't know the car they are working on then it's not the shop for that car .
in my shop i will and don't work on US built cars the big reason is i do not know enough about them to restore them to now they should be .
just simple things like how thew door gaps should be . shops that don't know about them make them even all the way around the door .
this is totally wrong !
it's a fix that is going to be hard to do once they mess it up . you will lose big points at a show for wrong or bad gaps .
buffing the hole car will also lose big points at a show porsche did not buff there finishes totally smooth there should be just a very slight peal to the finish were it lays down flat but not like glass .
again the shop you pick should know all that on a 10 point show car .
Old 12-23-2012, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: