Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Prep'ing Aluminum Bumper

I've taken a spare bumper, ground off the dimple for the rubber strips, filled the holes with JB Weld and I'm getting ready to finish it off after getting the mounting bracket reversed and welded in. I'm going for a smoothed look as seen here,

Extreme Makeover, Carrera bumper

I have some fine scratches and such that need (?) to smoothed out, or do I? Will the right filler or primer take care of this? What would you all recommend I use to prep the bumper before bringing it to the painter?

Thanks,
......and a minivan for the crew
Old 01-01-2013, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

over time you will see were you filler the holes with the JB weld .
any product other than aluminum welding will show up as a ghost down the road !
what happends is the JB weld or other like product will not expand and contract at the same rate .
aluminum being a soft metal you can sand out any grind or sanding mark just by dropping down the sanding grits . you will want to do any finish sand on aluminum with a 220 .
you could get away with a 180 for the finish sanding but depending on the color they to could show up later on down the road .
you will need to use a epoxy or etch primer over any bare aluminum then you can use a filler type primer over that .
if your finish sanding is good you can just E-prime it then seal it and go right to a top coat .
Old 01-01-2013, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

David, Totally understand that JBweld will expand and contract at different rates. That's what I got to work with. It's not too late though. Can easily drill it out.

Any thoughts on this product?

http://www.aluminumrepair.com/more_info.asp

Jeff

Last edited by theclaw; 01-01-2013 at 04:33 PM..
Old 01-01-2013, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

i bought the same product at a trade show two years ago . it's a very good product .
i have never tried to just it for some thing like this but it may work ?
for the cost of about 50 to 75 dollars a weld shop should weld the holes up for you .
the week before christmas i welded the holes for this guys 944 bumpers for 100 bucks cash that was for his front and rear bumpers .
tigging up the holes is the best way by far . you over fill the holes with the welds and grind and sand them down smooth . that way they are filled and it's just prime and paint after that .
Old 01-01-2013, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I'm doing the same thing to my bumper. 962, would you recommend taking the whole bumper down to metal before repainting, or would it be good enough to just scuff it up (the rest of the bumper; not the patched holes), and then prime/paint it?
Old 01-10-2013, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

if the finish that is on the bumper now is good then there is no need to strip the hole bumper down to bare aluminum .
just E-primer over any bare aluminum spots and then fuller prime prep and top coat .
the olny time you need to strip any panel is if the top coats are failing in some way or there are so many chips (say ) in a front bumper that your pretty much bringing evey thing down to bare metal .
my thinking is this if more than 2/3 of a panel is having to go down to bare metal then just strip it all down .
some of the best under coats are what the factory put there so why remove it if you don't have to . now you can replace them with the same quality but at what cost to do so .
Old 01-10-2013, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the advice, sir!
Old 01-10-2013, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

any time my friend !
Old 01-10-2013, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Progess!

It's been a while (been traveling and hit with other projects) but I took the advice from 962 and had the holes properly welded closed.

I picked up a cheap grinder from HF and made quick work of the extra material and roughed it out.

Now I need sand it a bit smoother and fill in some low spots and need to spray it with some E primer.

Any recommendations on the best product to use on aluminum for the filler? It's got to be something relatively idiot proof.

It's good to make some progress finally.

Last edited by theclaw; 02-19-2013 at 07:13 AM..
Old 02-18-2013, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
PhD on Pending Projects

Garage
Send a message via AIM to wachuko Send a message via Yahoo to wachuko
Looking good!!

1967 - Porsche 912
1981 - Porsche 911 SC
1991 - Porsche 911 C4 Wide-body Cabriolet
Old 02-19-2013, 04:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

So I smoothed it out a bit with 80grit on the wheel and briefly ran over it by hand with some 150. I gave it a shot of DuPont etching primer from an aerosol I had laying around just to see how it was shaping up. I could feel some dips around the spot I ground the big lumps down.

Actually, it doesn't look that bad. I think I can get away with a little filler, then prime and paint. I was thinking I'd have to put down some Epoxy primer first but I don't think I'll have to worry about that.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
PhD on Pending Projects

Garage
Send a message via AIM to wachuko Send a message via Yahoo to wachuko
Updates?

1967 - Porsche 912
1981 - Porsche 911 SC
1991 - Porsche 911 C4 Wide-body Cabriolet
Old 03-05-2013, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Yeah some. I posted this over in What did you do to your 911 today?

Had to put a few more coats of filler than expected but I'm new at this. Getting it to line up was a bugger, had to do some real surgery on the ends of the bumper shocks. This is where I am. Slow going. Life getting in the way more than expected. Kids are going to State Championships in swimming. Takes up most of the weekend.

Lets see if this image comes thru. I'm on my mobile.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I was just thinking why I had to do do so much to the bumper shocks. I did take a little spin into the guardrail at Blackhawk a couple of years ago. Banged the left rear quarter and compressed the bumper shock enough to warrant replacement. Got it all fixed but maybe it knocked things out of alingment enough that it needed some adjustment.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

Jeff your doing a good job keep us posted i would like to see it in color .
Old 03-05-2013, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I was trying to touch up the the valence so I can take both to the painter at the same time. I decided that I'd let the body shop shoot the final paint on since one of the close by quoted a reasonable price, $180 for prime and top coat.

However, the rear valence was nicked up somewhat and had some paint chipping in spots. I thought of going without and showing off the stainless BB 1in2out can but I'm not convinced that's what I want. So I started to sand the valence. After some work it was apparent that I was going to get a line were the paint ended and the metal started so I just stripped the whole piece down.

I turns out, the factory had put some filler across it during assembly. Probably to smooth out the heads of the studs that are coming out the back for the rear apron (?). So after taking the paint down, I cleaned that up a bit and put a quick coat of Evercoat on it.

All that is drying and going to sand it down along with the bumper this weekend. Hopping to get it all primed for the painter.

I'm kind of enjoying this. Getting a feel for how to smooth on the Evercoat and how it sands down. I feel like I'm cutting my teeth on a small project so if I ever really do some bodywork, I'll be ready. Hard to screw up a bumper too much.

Jeff
Old 03-07-2013, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

your doing a good job !
when it comes to body work there is nothing you really can screw up . it's only metal and bodyfiller . metal you can hammer and dolly body filler you can sand ez right ?
Old 03-08-2013, 05:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 962porsche View Post
your doing a good job !
when it comes to body work there is nothing you really can screw up . it's only metal and bodyfiller . metal you can hammer and dolly body filler you can sand ez right ?
Thanks David. Hopefully I can get it all ready for the painter this weekend. Got lot of "life" in the way though, church work, swim meet and help my son build his first computer (That's going to be a challenge).
Old 03-08-2013, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

i know what you mean ! i have so many projects i'm doing and every week end the wife has more crap to do around the farm . spring is on the way so i was told the girls want me to get the ultralight out of winter storage . then i have to take the stall mats out from the horse barn and clean them when the girls should be doing it . they wanted horses and said they would take care of all there needs but some how i knew it was not going to be that way !
i will have to say the stall mats are heavy so i don't ***** to much about doing that for them .
and they are good about doing the feeding and turning them out every day .
the wife does most of the taking the girls were they have to go and now the oldest wants a car i have sitting out back behind my fab shop . it's a 914 with a 914/6 body kit on it but it still has a 4 cylinder motor in it . she said she will help getting it going so if she will do the work i will give her the car . i think it would be good for her to learn more about cars than just ask me to fix it when they brake .
Old 03-08-2013, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

All that doesn't sound so bad to us suburbanites..... farm, horses, ultralight (always wanted to try that).
Old 03-09-2013, 04:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: