Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
Been following this interesting thread. Well done John-beautifully car. And thank you 962 for sharing your expertise and guidance on this forum. Always valuable and entertaining. I hope to tackle the same job by year's end. Cheers.....
Old 01-15-2013, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Dial 911

Garage
Hi...You are correct - they are not flawless such as in a true show car. I was specifically referring to 'real' orange peal that you can easily see such as the vehicles that I previously mentioned. It does seem to appear that the German and Japanese must have their 'paint robots' set up better.

I say this as I personally have not seen 'orange peal' on any of the MBs that we have had over many years nor any on the Lexus that we currently own. As a 'car buff' I really can't fault their paint work.

Even our now 27 yr. old Carrera's paint work is the same. It's black and there genuiely is no orange peel whatsoever nor any noticeable 'texture' on the car. I do though understand what you are saying...

A gripe that 'good' body shops have now is the having to match factory orange peal on repairs jobs. Not all jobs, but far from not being uncommon.

I have enjoyed your comments .Take care

Cheers

Last edited by A horse with no name; 01-16-2013 at 02:37 AM..
Old 01-16-2013, 02:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Bird. It's the word...

Garage
I've taken bits from everyone who has contributed!

Have just now ordered a DA polisher and pads to refine and maintain the finish. At some stage I will get the paint thickness measured as there are a few spots where I'd be keen to hit with the rotary polisher again, but no enough to risk what I've achieved so far
Old 01-16-2013, 05:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Hi John,
I see you are progressing. Excellent work all round. I did some colour sanding over the Christmas break on some cars including my wife's new focus which had terrible orange peel from the factory. It came up a treat and the process is pretty well the same as most are talking about, but here's what I did:

1. 2000 wet and dry - as you have done. With some residual marks that needed a bit more work.
2. Maguires fine cut cleaner on an orbital polisher using a terry toweling pad - worked very well. You could still see some very minor marks under a flouro light.
3. Pinnacle swirl remover to remove the swirl using the same pad. Probably not the best thing to do but it worked.
4. Maguires Gold Class polish to finish and protect the paint.
5. I then put the car in the sun and the let the good Ozzie sun bake the wax for a while.
6. Last step was to seal the whole thing using a spray sealer called silver seal that a friend of a friend imports from the UK. Brilliant stuff
7. Sit back and admire.

If you want, I could pop over on the weekend with some of the products for you to try including the Silver Seal which is just an amazing product. I can't live without 2 cans in my garage at any time.

Sheldon and I also polished his car (Dark Blue) and Cameron's GT3 (Black) and both will just blow you away.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Bird. It's the word...

Garage
Hey Kent

Yeah I'd love to have you take a look and offer some advice - and always keen to try some products. I've got a Menzerna sampler package (German product) that came with the DA polisher I just bought which seems very nice.

So far I've only run the rotary polisher and heavy cut Maguire 105 over the car and have a lot halo/swirls to work on...

Have you got my number? I'll PM it anyway.

Cheers
Old 01-18-2013, 05:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
1984 Porsche Carrera

Fish cop where did you get your da from in looking for one at the moment
Old 01-25-2013, 04:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Bird. It's the word...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozracer View Post
Fish cop where did you get your da from in looking for one at the moment

I found these guys to have very good prices and overnight delivery Car Care Products / All Brands / Car Accessories / Buffing Machines

FWIW I went with the base DAS6 and the Menzerna kit rather than the DAS6 Pro - the difference is 300 watts, but I honestly found the DAS6 had more than enough grunt for me. All delivered for under $300
Old 01-25-2013, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: