Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Josh

Garage
How much paint for refrigerator

Around Thanksgiving I bought an old, late 40s, Kelvinator refrigerator to restore. I am getting close to starting the body/paint work on my car and this was a way for me to get some practice and see what kind of results I'm capable of at home.

It's been a great project. I've welded my first patch panels, done a bunch of hammer and dolly work, and used a stud welder and slide hammer. All new to me - so I'm learning a ton. I'm skim coating/blocking the bare metal now and would like to paint very soon.

The fridge is about 3/4 the size of a modern side by side. It's about 5 1/2 feet tall with a single door. I'm painting it Mexico Blue (it will match the car) with PPG concept. Painting inside and out the door and body.

So I'm wondering from you experienced painters, how much paint will I need? I'm going to use the same paint for my car so having a little left over is OK. However, I am moving waaaay slower than planned and it may be several months before I paint the car so I'd rather not have it sitting around.

I am planning to spray epoxy primer, then high build, then sand, then 3-4 coats of color. Will a quart of each (a quart of unmixed color) be enough? Thanks for your opinions and sorry for the long winded question.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

i would just buy a QT OF COLOR .
i'm thinking your doing it in single stage and not base clear .
when it comes to painting things like a fridge or a soda machine i tend to go for products like acrylic emanels.
it will give you the look of the finish they had back in the days .
just for fun i do old coke machines the guys in the body shop did restore a old fridge and old gas stove for the body shop they too were from the 1950's the fridge has a big round top and is only 5 ' at most .

steve ( the painter ) he too painted it in a porsche color (light gray) .

Last edited by 962porsche; 01-16-2013 at 01:23 PM..
Old 01-16-2013, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Josh

Garage
Thanks 962 - Yup concept is a single stage. It's an Acrylic Urethane. I'll start with a quart. I'll post some pics when I get it painted.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: