Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

DIY Glasurit

How hard is it do shoot Glasurit in your garage? I've got just a rear bumper to paint. I have a decent compressor but have to buy a gun. I have some experience with using a gun (older Binks Model 7) spraying some motorcycle bodywork. It looked like an amature's job but it was my first attempt and it was a pretty big project. The entire race fairing, seat etc. I know the body shop is going to charge an arm and a leg so thought I'd see if the experts here think it's worth a shot going it alone.

Thanks,
Jeff
......and a minivan for the crew
Old 02-03-2013, 06:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

the old # 7 's worked good for lacquer paints but nothing else .
to paint a bumper or any little panel in your own garage is ok to do .
just have a clean area to spray it in . do a good cleaning of the garage wash the floor down good and have at it .
i just did a front bumper for this guys 944 at my airbrush shop yesterday (saturday)
he did all the repair , priming , prep , and i let him use the color max chips to get a perfect match for his cars color .
for a 135 dollars i mixed the color he pucked and sprayed the bumper for him .
i don't think that's a arm and a leg ? i have about 50 to 60 dollars in materials on his bumper and the rest is the cost to spray it .
if i was to just spray his bumper in the booth all by it's self the cost would go up a little to some thing like 150 dollars but i had 3 crash helmets i neede to get clear on so i just shot every thing at one time .
but even a 150 dollars i don't thing is a arm and a leg ?
Old 02-03-2013, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I recall the bodyshop saying something a lot more. Maybe $400. I'll get it all ready and ask again.

By the way, 962, I took your advice about properly welding in the holes in the bumper. Found somebody just down the street who's perfect for small jobs like this. Works out of his garage. It's slow going though, I've been out of town a lot for work. But, it's still snowing outside, so no rush.

thanks for the all of the advice.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

any time i'm more than happy to help !
ask around about having the bumper refinished .
the thing is in my body shop we will not do any job that any one other than us have worked on .
in my airbrush shop i will do jobs like that from time to time just to help some one out .
there are shop that will not touch any other jobs but theres and there are shops that will just spray a little some thing for some one . so you could get all types of prices for the same job .
so shop around !
Old 02-03-2013, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Hey Jeff, when I needed to have a fiberglass front nose sprayed last year, the Maaco on Ogden Ave in Lisle did it for $125 including the paint. I prepped and rattle can primed it, then gave it to them. They did a pretty good job, darn good match against a 25 year old GP White paint. Normally I'd give any Maaco job a hard time, but the paint work is only as good as the painter.

Maybe we need to do a painting C&C out at Souk's in the spring. Might be painting Press's new Spec Miata out there.
'97 BMW 528i (the sensible car, bought new)
'12 Vintage/Millenium 23' v-nose enclosed trailer
Old 02-03-2013, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 175K911 View Post
Hey Jeff, when I needed to have a fiberglass front nose sprayed last year, the Maaco on Ogden Ave in Lisle did it for $125 including the paint. I prepped and rattle can primed it, then gave it to them. They did a pretty good job, darn good match against a 25 year old GP White paint. Normally I'd give any Maaco job a hard time, but the paint work is only as good as the painter.

Maybe we need to do a painting C&C out at Souk's in the spring. Might be painting Press's new Spec Miata out there.
Hey Ed! Yeah, OHare told be something like $400 when I casually asked but that was some time ago. I'd be all over a painting clinic at Souk's.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: