Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

original color

I have found, yes in a barn, a 1973.5 911T complete but it is poorly painted black. The original color is Sepia brown which is far from my favorite. How much does it hurt the value if I repaint it another Porsche color?
Old 02-12-2013, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I don't know the desirability of a 73.5T and how a color change would effect it's value if any. So I can not answer the question from a monetary stand point. I would post that question in tech. However, I have a "74 S that isn't that desirable of a car to begin with so a color change probably was/is negligible. My car was originally Sepia, I changed it to Guards red a few years after I bought it because in the 80's Guards red was the color 911 to have. In the 90's I turned it more into the car I would have ordered for myself had I had one built. It is currently Blue with a linen interior, the interior is being changed back to it's original tan vinyl. I haven't decided yet if the Navy carpet will be changed back to original or not, I'll decide as I progress. While I love the car and it reflects what I wanted at the time and what I want now, not a day goes by that I don't look at it and think about changing it back to Sepia.

Are you sure you can't live with the color?

Search "found 30 years later." I found the search is quicker if you goggle Pelican parts found thirty years later.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

when it comes to keeping a car it's original color you only want to really do that to a rare car .
is your car a rare car or is it just another 911 ?
then what are your plans for the car ?
are you looking to only do car shows with it or are you going to drive the thing ?
then there is at what quality of a color change are you thinking of doing ?
many times people will do a color change and when you start looking hard at the car you can see that the color was changed .
a pore color change will take value away from any car if it's not done right . then again a pore paint job willl do the same thing .
many times a person will just have a crap job done on there car thinking it looks better then it did . but because the work is so bad it will now take more time and money to make it right later on when the car will need to get repaired .
we have a 1988 911 in the shop right now like that . some one did a crap job and hacked up the car . now to repair the car the right way the owner has to pay for many more hours of labor he would not have if the car was done right the 1st time .
Old 02-13-2013, 06:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I believe the early 911's had black undercoating etc., for the under-carrage. The later cars were body color. My car (74 911) was painted white whe I bought it, then discovered it was originally light yellow. To change the color would have taken much more labor, so I went back to yellow, which I grew to love. As 962 stated, if the car isn't rare, do what you want. I added Carrera flares, 3.2 motor and RS wing.
2012 Ford F150 Lariat
Old 02-13-2013, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I say original

I have a Sahara Beige car ..To most not that nice .But I keep the car as clean as I can.When going to Porsche gatherings Iam usually the only car there That color.So I think it helps me being a diffrent color and clean as beeing diffrent.. Just my opinion Thanks Russ
Old 02-18-2013, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
turbo951, nice car.
2012 Ford F150 Lariat
Old 02-19-2013, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Thank you

Thank you very much yel911
Old 02-19-2013, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
The 1973.5 cis has become very collectible. If you have a coa and matching engine and transmission numbers it is worth it to paint original. If not matching numbers, the color of your choice is perfect. Trunk, engine bay, etc. were body color, some black added on the rockers for rust proofing.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Here is my Sahara Beige Carrera that is also the orginal color.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: