Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Paint matching...

I am working to backdate my '82 SC, which has nice paint (zinc), and I was told that it had a Glasurit re-paint at some point in the last 30 years.

I was trying to get a very rough estimate on painting:

1) Duck deck lid and the section behind the reflector (which I will remove)
2) FG rear bumper
3) FG front bumper
4) Pair of front fenders
5) Hood

FG parts will probably be TRE, roughly half the car or a bit more, and I prefer Glasurit for a better match.

Does anybody know if zinc is an easy or tough match?

Thanks
Old 02-17-2013, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

no one can give a estimate with out seeing what you have to refinish .
not only do shop labor rates change from state to state but from shop to shop .
i don't know that color Zinc off the top of my head ?i know there is a ZINN metallic with a color # LM7V used for 1982 only .
the german word for ZINN is TIN and not ZINK or Zinc in english .
you have to give a color code for me to tall you is the color is a good match or not .
Old 02-17-2013, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Yes, it's Zinn metallic. I thought t was referred to as "zinc" in the U.S., or I saw it referred to as that in some threads (it's dark silver).

The used panels will need minimal prep work and they are a different color. They may have a few dings, but no dents, no bondo, and no rust. The FG panels are new (probably TRE).

I just wanted to know if I was looking at possibly $10k or $2K, a very rough estimate, so when I call a local shop I have a little guidance. I would like very good quality to match the rest of the vehicle, but not a $20k "show" job.

I live in eastern Washington state, and I know of good shop with reasonable prices in Oregon (and no sales tax there), but it's always nice to have a figure in mind before a discussion begins...

Thanks
Old 02-17-2013, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

what you have to do is take the panels your looking to have refinished along with the car down to some shops and get prices .
your looking at painting most of the car then your talking about fiberglass parts .
have the parts been fit to the car yet ? what shape are the parts in ?
some shops many just tell you they want ti paint the hole car others may not .
Old 02-18-2013, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I was afraid of that. The current paint is very good, I don't want to screw with it. I may just take a few parts (headlight sugar scoops) to help match and strip everything for paint myself, and run them to a few shops like you said.

I just don't want one half of the car to be off-shade, but since mine is an original color and in good condition, it should be easier to match.

A $10k full re-paint is not in my future, I'll drive a different color outlaw before I blow that kind of coin. If my paint was shot, then that would be a different story. I'm still trying to fund a 915 build with LS and CR gears, and a Max Moritz short stroke rebuild with performance enhancements...

Thanks
Old 02-18-2013, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: