Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Wiring protection prior to media blasting

I'm about to have my 73.5 media blasted to bare metal. At the moment my only concern is how to protect parts like a small amount of wiring and the VIN sticker on the rear door jamb. I've searched all over and haven't found anything on this specific subject. Any suggestions for protecting each. The front harness has been removed along with all the dash switches, gauges & trim. Most of whatever wiring I will leave will be wrapped up in the trunk and/or under the dash. I'm not spraying the middle of the dash, just the ends at the pillars so the wiring should be fine tucked back behind the dash, but would like to wrap the middle part of the dash and the wiring for added protection.
I've seen guys use what looks to be aluminum foil on the wiring, but don't know if it works or if there is something better? The media will be soda, so it will be more dust than anything.
I also really don't want to lose the door jamb VIN sticker as I don't think these are available and at the moment mine is perfect.
The tin VIN plate up front and on the A pillar I will remove and re-rivet after painting unless someone has a better idea?
Thanks!
65 356SC Cab - Sold to get married; 70 T Sunroof Coupe - Sold to buy a house; 82 SC Targa - Sold so the kids could fit in a 'regular' car 86 Coupe - Sold to start a business; 87 Targa - Sold to expand the second house
89 944S2 Daily Driver
73.5CIS Targa Barn Find -under renovation

Last edited by Robert Adams; 03-04-2013 at 02:40 PM..
Old 03-04-2013, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

When I did my '75 (plastic beads), the blaster gave me a couple of rolls of what looked like super duper duct tape (it was brown) and told me to tape over anything I did not want blast damaged or which would not want residue in it (e.g. the sill heater ducts).

I did that quite carefully and it was quite good...no damage or beads anywhere I had taped. Now to be fair, I am still taking plastic beads out of the car after 20 years.....as I did not tape over every hollow and hole and believe me, that stuff gets in there and stays there.

I think soda is better, but there is a lot of media that will get used on a whole car.

Dennis
Old 03-04-2013, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Yes, and this left over media will eventually cause rust if any moisture gets into those inner boxed sections.

I would consider cutting some access holes in the inner, outer longitudinals and remove the fuel tank support. This will allow the blasting shop to thoroughly air blast and vac those areas. Media WILL get in there, there's nothing you can do to prevent it!

Remember to apply cavity wax afterwards.
'73 911T Targa Signal Yellow
'78 911SC backdate
Old 03-05-2013, 05:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Dennis, Soda blasting is not a good idea.
I found a few forums that say to stay away from Soda Blasting, many paint manufacturers don't approve it, http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Soda_blasting[/
Old 03-05-2013, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I had read sand and I assume glass bead media was a rust culprit because it absorbed moisture and that soda was preferred? No experience one way or the other. So I guess I need to do some more research on which media is best. My Hot Rod buddies use and recommended soda so I figured they knew what they were doing. They do a heck of a lot more of this kind of thing than I do.

Still need to deal with the wiring and vin sticker though either way.
65 356SC Cab - Sold to get married; 70 T Sunroof Coupe - Sold to buy a house; 82 SC Targa - Sold so the kids could fit in a 'regular' car 86 Coupe - Sold to start a business; 87 Targa - Sold to expand the second house
89 944S2 Daily Driver

Last edited by Robert Adams; 03-22-2013 at 01:48 PM..
Old 03-05-2013, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

i my shop we will only soad blast fiberglass , aluminum and other soft metals .
soad blasting a steel body car is kind of pointless .
plastic media or sand is a better way to go .
if you strip the finish with some thing like soad you will still have all the rust left . so then you have to change out the media to plastic or sand the blast that .
the dark color tape is just gorilla tape duck tape will do the same thing to protect things like the wiring . your best bet is to pull the wiring back and bag it .
Old 03-05-2013, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
ok, read up some, mostly some of 962's old posts, bead media it is. A wealth of information.
Still, will wrapping the wiring in a heavy black construction bag (cut to size of course) and then tape it all around with brown gorilla tape do the job?

Might regular gray duct tape do just as well as the brown gorilla tape?

Next, the VIN sticker on the jamb; tape over with gorilla or duct tape as well?
89 944S2 Daily Driver
Old 03-06-2013, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Duct tape will work. I would double layer it at least and then remove it ASAP. The media dries the heck out of it leaves a duct tape residue that is difficult to remove. You might consider wrapping it in some big shrink wrap or something first and then taping it...just try and avoid the direct contact with the duct tape.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

it's called DUCK tape ! not duct tape .
in ww2 the ammo was getting wet when they would off load the ships onto things called DUKW's the GI's started to call the DUKW's ducks . the tape they came up with to protect the ammo from getting wet and protect it from the salt water was that silver tape we now know as duck tape .
you don't want to use that that silver tape (now offered in many colors ) for your ducted work in your home . what you use is very thin aluminum looking duct tape .
but yes duck tape is one in the same as gorilla tape so any color will do to protect the things you don't want blasted .

Last edited by 962porsche; 03-07-2013 at 04:46 AM..
Old 03-07-2013, 04:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I see your point but....

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQF1GcQt_C2l79ZTXUKl6ZfCBvHEQvbS ghh7sPp_IpjJnoDpzwi5w

Anyway, "DUCK" tape WILL leave a very hard to remove residue on your wiring so wrap in something else first...could even be aluminum foil, then wrap it in duct or duck tape.
'73 911T Targa Signal Yellow
'78 911SC backdate
Old 03-07-2013, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnielsen View Post
I see your point but....

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQF1GcQt_C2l79ZTXUKl6ZfCBvHEQvbS ghh7sPp_IpjJnoDpzwi5w

Anyway, "DUCK" tape WILL leave a very hard to remove residue on your wiring so wrap in something else first...could even be aluminum foil, then wrap it in duct or duck tape.
yes very good point ! we tend to just pull the wiring back and bag it in a heavy weight trash bags and rap that with (racers tape )( 200 MPH tape ) (duct tape ) or duck tape .
the aluminum foil trick also works great when you go to prime & paint as not to get over spray on your wiring and hoses .
Old 03-07-2013, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Duck -Duct, last time I use spell check! Stupid thing is I know the difference as I have done so many ducts I should own stock in the company that makes the foil tape.
Aware of the residue issue with the tape, you're right it is tough to remove. I plan to wrap the wiring in the heavy duty black trash bags, but think I'll shrink wrap first to make it easier to wrap with the bag material. Then plan to duct tape over the bag material.
Guess I'll use the tape over the VIN label too, but as suggested I'll wait to do it at the very last minute and remove it right away when done.

Thanks to all!
89 944S2 Daily Driver
Old 03-07-2013, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

For the VIN, put masking tape on first and then duck(t) tape over that.....Also works on the wiring, wrap it in masking tape and then duck(t) tape over that.

BTW, Home Despot labels the grey tape as "Duct Tape". I will try to advise them next time they seem receptive...

Dennis
Old 03-07-2013, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

you know i did not mean to start any thing about duck tape .
but yes most people do call it duct tape i don't know how or why it ever got changed over the years because it really does not work every good on duct work at all .
when my grand fathers brother invented it he called it cloth backed tape .
Old 03-08-2013, 04:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: