Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
White and Nerdy

Garage
Early 944 rear suspension refinish?

I'm curious what options there are to refinish the early steel arms on a 944. After cleaning, I have a few nicks and minor surface rust in some of the nicks.

I don't know enough to know what my options here are. Can media blasting clean out and sand off the paint on the inside of the arms? If that is the case, could I take them to a powder coater or painter and get the whole arm redone?

If not, sanding down my nicks in the paint, and repainting those areas seems to be the way to go, I just don't know what to use here.

There also seems to be something that was sprayed on the leading edges of the arms and underside of the torsion tube. I'm really not sure if this is road debris deposit or an actual intended coating. I live on a dirt road, and have driven in salt/ice/snow.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

over this winter i pulled all the suspension on my 944 track loaner car and sand blasted it painted it with SEM rust shield and installed new delrin bushings . sand blasting will not harm any thing at all . on the front steel control arms i did gusset plates around the out sides . if your looking to do gussets build a jig for the control arms so they can not warp . they shouldn't but it's best to be safe .
some of the rust was so heavy we just used 001 sand to blast the suspension and after blasting ran a DA sander over the parts with some 180 grit .
Old 03-08-2013, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: