Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Architecture & Porsche's

minumum air compressor flow/psi rating for painting a car/boat

HI there,

I'm about to learn how to paint the following:
1. Race car interior (flat single-stage white)
2. Race car underside, front rear & fender compartments: Gulf blue
3. Race car body: gulf blue
4. (professional to step in for the orange stripe)

5. Boat engine bay interior
6. Boat epoxy primer
7. Boat Guard's Red paint

8. '85 Carrera, full Guard's Red paint.

Anyway, I need to buy an air compressor & understand there's a minimum SCFM and PSI rating required to work a spray gun: can anyone enlighten me? I don't have a lot of space to store a large compressor & I need to be able to move it around from place to place as I paint. Also, has to be 110v (no 220v).

Dewalt makes a 15g that has a 5.4 avg SCFM @ 90psi: is that enough??

Mark
'74 911 RSR 3.6
Old 03-27-2013, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I can't add much here but I believe the spray gun specs stipulate the desired pressure & SCFM capabilities of the compressor.

Also, I have a large compressor that I use in a barn that is away from my house so when I use it it sometimes breaks the circuit breaker. You need to insure there is sufficient amperage on the circuit you plug in to. If you are doing this at your house garage I would suspect that not to be a problem.

Good luck, sounds like an ambitious project.

Last edited by GaryDG; 03-30-2013 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: Correction
Old 03-30-2013, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
The lines and fittings need to HVLP capable too if you go that route. It does no good to get a compressor big enough to keep up with a spray gun if the fittings can't deliver the air.
06 Kaw KLR-650A
10' Madone 5.2/17' Lynskey ProCross
Old 04-05-2013, 04:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Architecture & Porsche's

Ok it was a nightmare: rented a Rigid 2hp 10SCFM @ 90psi compressor, but tanks were only 9 gallon.

I'd get 1 second of spray & then had to wait 7 seconds for the tank pressure to build back up before I could spray again. Took me 4.5 hours to spray 70% of the interior. Gotta get a 30-40g tank minimum to prevent that!

Here's my pics:
'74 911 RSR 3.6
Old 04-05-2013, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
A 12 cfm unit with 120psi would be more suitable and will usually have a larger reciever,something sounds wrong here?How thicks your primer and are you using the correct size noozle in your gun?,are you using a gravity feed gun?.
I run 40 - 60 psi dependant on what paint stage I'am at, adjustments on the gun are normally made during made during base coverage and final wet coat.
Tell us how you get on.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

This is a timely issue for me because I am thinking of getting equipment to do painting myself.

That compressor is bigger than I was considering. Are you sure there wasn't a restriction in the line to the gun?
Old 05-14-2013, 05:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Blackbird Pilot

Interested in a response to the last question - 40 gallon seems large, but is it needed?
Old 05-29-2013, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Architecture & Porsche's

I watched my gauge: tank was just way too small: would run short on air after about 1 to 1.5 full seconds...then would have to wait for it to build back up again.
'74 911 RSR 3.6
Old 05-29-2013, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

ok so what is the trouble with just getting a 220V 6.5 or 7 hp 2 stage compressure with a 60 gal tank ?
one that size will power many air tools you can spray many things it will be under heavy use when and of you want to spray a hole car but it is still able to do it .
it will run many air tools but the down side is if you want or need to use cut off wheel type tools you will have to wait for the air to build back up after about 5 minutes of use .
when i was a kid living at moms house i had to have a 110V compressure and i needed more air than it offered so i got a 2nd compressure the same 4 HP with a 25 gal tank . i hooked the two together for 8HP worth of air and pumped all the air into just one of the tanks to give me alot of air pressure . i tried using the two tanks at 1st and i had air volume but the pressure was not all that great . with the two pumps feeding the one tank i had enough air for most of the tools i was using though the pumps did run almost all the time to keep up i did do some over all paint jobs on cars and god only knows how many motorcycles and crash helmets with out any broblems .
Old 05-29-2013, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Dial 911

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkRobinson View Post
HI there,

I'm about to learn how to paint the following:
1. Race car interior (flat single-stage white)
2. Race car underside, front rear & fender compartments: Gulf blue
3. Race car body: gulf blue
4. (professional to step in for the orange stripe)

5. Boat engine bay interior
6. Boat epoxy primer
7. Boat Guard's Red paint

8. '85 Carrera, full Guard's Red paint.

Anyway, I need to buy an air compressor & understand there's a minimum SCFM and PSI rating required to work a spray gun: can anyone enlighten me? I don't have a lot of space to store a large compressor & I need to be able to move it around from place to place as I paint. Also, has to be 110v (no 220v).

Dewalt makes a 15g that has a 5.4 avg SCFM @ 90psi: is that enough??

Mark
I have had a few, but the very best answer that I can provide for you is to go and speak to a dealer that specializes in selling paint guns and paint shop supplies.

They will give you the exact volume of air that you will need to spray a car. If possible the compressor should be mounted higher and running pipes from the compressor around your shop gets rid of a lot of hose.

You will also need a few quality water traps. The new HVLP guns use way less paint and much less over-spray but you still need a high volume compressor.

Like all things, You will get what you pay for. A quality one will not be leaking any oil from the motor into your air supply. Again, these guys are very knowledgeable as they set up complete auto body paint shops...Just drop in and have a chat with one of them... As for spraying epoxies...They themselves will kill you...They all will if you do not invest in the proper gear.

Get the proper system the provides you with clean outside air. Its your life- lungs that you re dealing with so if your plan is on 'getting in to it'...Make it a point to get into the right equipment.

Take Care

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.”

Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 06-10-2013, 02:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: