Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Threaded holes in rear bumper - 74+

Hi All -
I located a euro rear bumper and bumper guards for my 77.
I did not know that the screws/fasteners for many of the rubber bits and the lower valance actually thread into the bumper itself. Should the body shop plug these holes when they paint to keep the threads clean?

Thanks very much -
Scott S
Old 06-28-2013, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

there is no real need to plug threaded holes .
what we do in my shops is thread chase all threaded holes (not tap) before we reassemble things . we also put a dab of copper ( we only use copper ) anti seize on the threads .
the reason why we will only use copper anti seize is it has a much higher melting point than aluminum anti sieze does . not that that will matter on body parts but the other reason is years and years down the road you will never have any trubble removing a fastener .
if you used a aluminum anti sieze on a aluminum part and then screwed a metal bolt into it your not really doing any thing because it's still aluminum and over many years the bolt will still rust and seize into the threads .
Old 06-28-2013, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: