Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

primer sealer question

I am getting ready to paint my tub on my project car. I am using a 2k primer sealer. I laid down 2 heavy coats of high build primer and today I blocked the car out. there are a few spots that I sanded through the primer back to bare metal.

There is a mix formula to use the primer as a sealer. 4:1:2....

Seeing as I am not going to do any sanding after this coat, should I use my finish gun with a 1.3 tip?

Thanks for any input on a holiday weekend!!

Brendon
Old 07-05-2013, 08:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

yes you can just use the primer mixed as the sealer and the top coat gun with it's 1.3 tip .
Old 07-06-2013, 02:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

thanks, much appreciated.

When are you heading to NHMS again?
Old 07-06-2013, 05:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Is it common to have to re-sand after you spray the sealer? I am not sure if I am running to high an inlet pressure, but I had to go back over the entire area with 400 to take down the sealer.

Also it's 85 in my shop, so the dry times are pretty quick
Old 07-06-2013, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

85 that's it ! today Saturday i was working at my fabrication shop on my F1000 car the shop has AC but i was painting the cars body and the booth there is a cross draft so it just pulls the air from inside the shop it was 96 at 2:30 in the booth . this heat sucks !

any way yes at times you have to let the sealer flash off a bit and hit it with some sand paper .
you will find this common with primer /sealers type product . it has to do with the fill quality of it being a primer too . were with a straight sealer type product most of the time you really should not have to do that .
a help is to use the right temp hardener and reducer but some times you have to just use what you have on hand for them . it could be because the jobber is close for the day or because you only have a little spot or two to spot seal and spending more money just for that is just not worth it .

i have NJMS this coming week end then tremblant in canada then i think we are back at NHMS for a wednesday - thursday event .
i think i'm going to run the GT1 948 porsche for the next NHMS event ?
this coming weekend i'm taking the F1000 to NJ so i hope it's not going to be hot like it's been for the last 4 days .

so i did a test ride of the new 2013 Zero FX motorcycle 3 weeks ago . i liked it alot ! now i'm looking to get one to do so netra events with . the down side is i think i will have to get two battery packs for it ?
Old 07-06-2013, 06:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

So, I spent today making my garage into a spray booth.

Cost all of $60

3 air filters from the Home Depot and a ton of poly.

Got the car blocked out and prepped for paint.

Final sealer. I wasn't happy with the finish, so I had to lightly block out the last seal coat.

Finally some color.

I am happy with the flat finish, but there are a few spots that I need to touch up. Unfortunately my body shop isn't open tomorrow, so I will have to wait till midweek to buy material, scuff and apply one more coat of satin matte clear.

Here is a pic of it with the flash so you can see the metal flake.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I think I am running the wrong temp reducer for this weather. I am mostly happy with the results, but I think I may have to let the clear sit for a few days, scuff it and respray it. I have a few dry spots that I am not happy with.

Not bad for a home job.

thanks again for all the input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 962porsche View Post
85 that's it ! today Saturday i was working at my fabrication shop on my F1000 car the shop has AC but i was painting the cars body and the booth there is a cross draft so it just pulls the air from inside the shop it was 96 at 2:30 in the booth . this heat sucks !

any way yes at times you have to let the sealer flash off a bit and hit it with some sand paper .
you will find this common with primer /sealers type product . it has to do with the fill quality of it being a primer too . were with a straight sealer type product most of the time you really should not have to do that .
a help is to use the right temp hardener and reducer but some times you have to just use what you have on hand for them . it could be because the jobber is close for the day or because you only have a little spot or two to spot seal and spending more money just for that is just not worth it .

i have NJMS this coming week end then tremblant in canada then i think we are back at NHMS for a wednesday - thursday event .
i think i'm going to run the GT1 948 porsche for the next NHMS event ?
this coming weekend i'm taking the F1000 to NJ so i hope it's not going to be hot like it's been for the last 4 days .

so i did a test ride of the new 2013 Zero FX motorcycle 3 weeks ago . i liked it alot ! now i'm looking to get one to do so netra events with . the down side is i think i will have to get two battery packs for it ?
Old 07-06-2013, 08:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

it looks good !
in this weather you want a slow reducer and hardener for the products .
you always should be looking for a 20 minute flash time so if it's flashing off before that you really should just hold up on painting .
Old 07-07-2013, 05:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 962porsche View Post
it looks good !
in this weather you want a slow reducer and hardener for the products .
you always should be looking for a 20 minute flash time so if it's flashing off before that you really should just hold up on painting .
I agree, it was flashing off before I made it around the car. Looks like I will have to hit it with 600 in a few days and re clear it. Other than that, I am really satisfied with the results I got.

I will try and keep track of the NHMS events and take a ride up. Are they Porsche club events that you are running? I have a friend in Concord with a 911 I helped do RSR suspension in and I want to get him n the track. He will be safe, he's an airline captain.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

i race in a crap load of different sanctioning bodys .
ALMS ,SCCA, NASA,EMRA, RENNSPORT,PCA,HSR,CASC,COMSCC, NEHA, AND ON AND ON .
it depends on what event and with what car i want to drive is when and were i'm going to race for that week . i try and go to the track 3 to 5 times a month even if it's just a single test day for that week .

tell your friend tha it's more dangerous to drive on the street that on a track . i have been hurt more from people hitting me driving on roads than from any crash at a track . i have had two cars totaled on the street and not one totaled on a track . i have been going to the track just as long as i have been driving on the streets .
as for having a fast car and never taking it to a track that's the same as dating a super model and not having sex with her . kind of point less !
so if your friend or any one else is a little hesitant about track driving becuase your car is all that .for get it there are always some cars better than what you have that go to the track for track days and driver ed .
Old 07-07-2013, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Seems you do a ton of racing. I have done some locally with SCCA, WKA and SBRS. Too poor to play with the P cars though. I will do some events with the 930 when it's done. I will keep an eye on the NHMS events and see if I can time a visit. I know one of the track managers well.

I will have to time it while John is home. He's got a bug in him to try track events. The suspension upgrades have him itching.

I'll keep lurking and will ask in advance next time there are some events up here.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

yes i tend to live for racing i have many track cars some are alot of money to take to the track some are almost bone stock and dirt cheap to run .
at the end of the day the smile on your face is the same if you drive a stock low cost track day car as it is for driving the 962 .
you can buy a dirt cheap 944 8V for a couple of grand or a bone stock miata with a roll bar and take it to track days your not wheel to wheeling the car so the chance of some thing happening are slim . there is also the fact that a low HP car will teach you how to drive better and fast then a high HP car will . then when you get into a high HP car you will be much faster than if you started in the same high HP car .
Old 07-07-2013, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: