Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Rust and chrome trim on top of doors

Hi,

I am looking for a little advice. I have a 73 911 that was recently painted. When I removed the chrome trim pieces on top of the doors I noticed the clip holes on the doors had a little rust around them. It appears the clips on the chrome trim chipped the paint when they were installed, hence the rust. I was considering using Por 15 around the holes on the chips. Aso, I was going to use vasoline or grease around the holes to protect this area when reinstalling the trim. Someone recomended using 3m seal ribbon. I found this product to difficult to work with. Does someone have some advice on the best way to deal with the rust and seal around the holes for future moisture containment. The paint or the sealing does not have to be pretty because the chrome trim covers about 3/4 of an inch from the window edge on the doors.

Thanks for you help.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

what you need to use is a zinc primer like a weld thru primer just around the lip of the holes .
zinc will always keep etching the metal that is bare right next to the little chip were the chip is .
if the push clips are moving around in the holes even atfer you install the belt monding you will have to spread the clips so the molding does not move around or buy new clips .
often after you remove the belt moldings you kind of bend the chips in a bit .
any grease will not stop rust so it's pointless to use it on the clips .

we have a about a 6 mill thick sheet of sticky backed zinc film that works great for things like that .
we just use a paper punch to put a hole for the clip and then cut out a little round pad to stick over the holes . the zinc film keeps things like that for ever rusting .
i found it on line years ago so to find it you will have to google it .
Old 07-22-2013, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks for your reply. If I understand you correctly, you place the zinc paper around the whole with a type of 2 faced tape and the clips rub against the zinc instead of the metal around the holes thus stopping the rust?
Old 07-22-2013, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

the zinc sheeting has a sticky back to it a little like contact paper does .
the rest is right i poke a small hole in the center of the little piece i cut out that just covers the area of the hole were the clip goes . if you don't make a small hole in the center the clip will just push the zinc piece thru the hole .
the way zinc works is if there is a chip right next to the zinc piece the chip will still not rust .
so with putting a zinc piece over the hole then you push the belt molding on and the clip from the molding chips the paint off from around the hole the zinc will not let it ever rust .

a zinc weld primer will do the same thing to a point just not as good as a piece of pure zinc does .
Old 07-23-2013, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice. I will look into getting the zinc paper.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: