Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

How do I clean lobster claw rims??? HELP!!!

I have a 2006 911s with lobster rims. After cleaning them properly, along with the rest of the car, I tried driving it for a few minutes to get most of the water off prior to towel drying. Well doing this causes the brake rotors to throw watery rust water all over the barrel of the rims. Someone suggested taking a leaf blower to the rims. Well that dried them 90% of the way, the other 10% of the drying was over night. Well the rotors of course still had some rust formation on them. When I drove the car and braked for a couple of miles the rust on the rotors ended up becoming a fine dust inside the barrels. How do you clean and dry these rims properly???? HELP!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-10-2013, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

you could always do what the detail guys in my shop do and that is take the wheels off the cars then clean and dry them and blow off the suspension and rotors with the air gun . they also used some detail type spray that made cleaning wheels much easier the next time the car got washed . i don't know the name of the stoff they used but it does work great even the wheels on the race cars would come clean with just water .
Old 09-10-2013, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
We all have the same problem. You have lots of brake dust accumulated in the rotor cooling holes and vanes which you need to get out periodically so air can move through. A power sprayer directly on the rotor holes and vanes definitely works but you run the risk of getting water past the rear bearing seals so I used to protect the backside of the hub by wrapping an old towel held tightly with a buggy cord. I now just use compressed air on the holes and vanes before I wash the car and wheels. No need to pull the wheels. It can get really dusty. Then I wash the wheels first, blow them off a bit and then I wash the car ( with a new mitt, of course). Then a drive around the block and a final inspection. I normally only need to do the compressed air thing once a year. I do allot of highway driving which logically seems to reduce the dust accumulation.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: