Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Josh

Garage
Prepping engine bay for paint

My car is stripped and up on a octisserie. Most of the car went to bare metal and is now in epoxy primer but I didn't want to completely strip the chip guard from the underside and engine bay. I've spent the last two hours with a Hotsy and a bunch of degreaser. It's much much cleaner but still not something I would eat off (the criteria I have heard for paint). Any tips from those of you who have done this?
Should I be doing something other than degrease and pressure washing the painted surfaces to prep for paint?
What are the most important steps (fyi this is a color change from light yellow to mexico blue) to repainting the engine bay and underside?

My plan after I get things clean is to:

On the areas where the stone guard is bad I will clean the metal, epoxy prime, then apply new stone guard.

Then my plan was to shoot epoxy primer over the entire area, then a few coats of color.

Sound okay?
Old 09-12-2013, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

you should use grease and wax remover like RM's 900 in a USC handy spray bottle .that's one of the bottles you pump up with air pressure .
if you try and use a heavy degreaser that is not made for pre body work cleaning you could soften the finish and just push the grease into the finish . so it mat look clean but when you go to paint it it will fish eye like crazy on you .

as for painting the under side porsche does not paint the under sides of there cars it's only chip guard .
as for spray any E-primers on chip guard it's not a good idea . with most chip guards it will peal off within two years . e-primers are for bare metals only not for coating things like chip guard . another problem you may run into is even if it does not delam in a year or two it will not take stone hits well at all and chip up very fast .

then some epoxy you just can't top coat it may need a sealer or a primer under the top coat
1st . some E-primers can be mixxed as a sealer but your sitll running into the problem of spraying over the chip guard .
you noly need the epoxy primer on bare metal any thing other then that it's just costing you money that could be better spent on better metarials for a better finished product .

Last edited by 962porsche; 09-12-2013 at 11:52 AM..
Old 09-12-2013, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Josh

Garage
962 as always thanks for the input.
My car is a 75 and the underside and engine bay are painted the body color - light yellow. I'm sure it came like this. The car had a color change to black in the 80s but the trunk, interior, underside, and engine bay were left yellow (it looked horrible when I got it - tons of black peeling off the body with yellow showing through).

I would really like to put color in the engine bay and underside - because I don't want a blue car with a yellow engine bay and underside. 962 I value your input. What is your suggested to approach to spraying color here? There is mostly yellow/painted stone guard and some new bare stone guard. If I shouldn't put primer down first should I just spray the color directly on?

Thanks
Old 09-12-2013, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

when your saying the under side are you talking about the underside of the floor pan ? or just around the rear frame rails ? but yes the engind bay is body color on a 911 of that year . porsche did not paint the undersides of the floors you will find some color there but it's just over spray from the spraying process . they did not spray color like they do to the top sides of the car .

what you want to do is use a sealer over the chip guard if it's the texture your looking for to match the OEporsche chip guard . if you have to spray two or 3 coats of primer to smooth out the texture a little you can do that to match the oe CG . if your happy just go wet on wet with sealer then to your top coats .

i don't know what product line your using but many filler primers can also be mixxed as a sealer .

Last edited by 962porsche; 09-12-2013 at 04:44 PM..
Old 09-12-2013, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Josh

Garage
I'm talking about the underside of the floor pan.

Thanks - I'm using PPG - DP epoxy primer and K38 high build (concept for color) - both can be mixed as a sealer. The DP is 100 times easier to spray so I'll use that.

In another month or two I'll start a thread with some pics of the paint process but it's way too early for that now. When you count my practice projects painting the car has taken me almost all year and I still don't know if I'll be done before it gets too cold to paint anymore. You've answered many questions for me over the past year and I want you to know I appreciate it. Now that you're retired - if you find yourself in western Colorado let me know because I think I owe you a few beers.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

thanks .
i'm not totaly retired yet ! i'm stilll playing around with cars . but no more big resto's crashed cars or or frame work . big jobs now are what i pick and choose to do . i'm building a tube chassis for a customer now for his motorcycle powers mid engine 1966 mini . the car should be finished this weds for him to come get it .
so it's not like i'm retired but if i feel like only working a half day or take a long weekend i do so now . in the past a half day of work was 12 hours .
i'm just working in my little airbrush shop now were the over head is low . i can only get 4 to 6 cars in this building and i only want one or two jobs going at one time . no more dead lines were the car has to be finished by a certain date . all the job do get done in a timely manner but if i want to take a day off i do so . i tend to only work 35 hours . i come in at 9 or so and leave about 5 or 6 .

sitting on your deck and having coffee in the morning is so underrated . so is stopping over a friends house you race with just to do some bench racing with the guys .
Old 09-13-2013, 04:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: