Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

930 Tail louver blemish

Hi All,

I am hoping to get direction on the best way to cure this unsightly damage that came with my '87 930. It's a peculiar, burn/spill type blotch that has damaged the paint. I am not seeking absolute perfection. I just don't want to wince every time I look at the best part of the car. Thanks for looking and for any insight.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

i had a 930 that looked just like that car and i meen just like it i sold it about 4 years ago .
it was one of only two cars i had sellers remorse from .

you could go get some semi gloss black and tuch it up but i would only repair it the right way .
that would be remove the screening from the under side along with the ducting . then mask off the under side of the tail . tape off the out line of the black then with 500 or 600 wet sand the black area and feather edge out the damage . you would most likely need to spot prime the area were the damage is then sand that ara again after you prime it with some 500 or 600 wet sand paper .
remove the masking and mask it off again right on the old masking line of the black . this time on the masking line use what is called fine line masking tape to get a nice clean edge when you paint the black .
wipe the area down with some pre paint cleaner like RM's 901 . then tack the area off with a tack rag .
useing a trim black like SEM's trim black spray the black area with 4 to 5 medium wet coats of paint .

the thing is because i don't know what made the damage you will want to clean the area with baking soda and water and all of the black with a pre body work cleaner like RM's 900 before you start to do any work on the back part of the tail .
the reason for the baking soda is if there is any acid type of remains left on the damaged area it will just eat back into the new semi gloss back you spray on the area again .

it's the type of job you could do your self or if you feel your not into doing it take it to a shop and have them do it for you . personaly it's to nice of a car to just try and tuch it up just fix it once the right way . most shop will charge about 200 dollars for that repair .
Old 09-24-2013, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks for the thought out response and suggestions. I'll likely end up at a shop for the repair. Thanks again.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

it is some thing you can do your self on weekend in your garage .
just be sure the shop you go to takes the screening and ducting off the under side . if they don't it will just not be a good quality repair and the car is to pretty for any thing less .
Old 09-24-2013, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
That is an easy fix. Try to paint just the one rib where the blemish is and if that does not look good i would sand down all of the satin black on the rear wing and repaint it
The most work is to mask off the area that is going to be painted ig you do with the wing on the car
Just cover up the rest of your car in plastic or something so you do not get paint on it

Last edited by MrShades; 10-05-2013 at 09:58 AM..
Old 10-05-2013, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: