Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

cowel replacement questions

I am in the process of replacing the cowel on my 79 911

I choose to do this because both corners have several rot thru holes, pin hole rust along the front where the hood closes on, and 1 of the wiper arm pockets is about half gone

(PO from Tampa decided to chemical strip the car( ..cowel) and just left it outside for several yrs...but thats another story)

I have a good used replacement cowel (thanks Jeff) that ends at the bottom of the windshield pillar, so I'm in good shape there

Questions about position /allignment prior to final weld in:
1.Pretty sure I'll need the windshield (have to buy one) to test fit. Correct?
2. should I hang the both fenders to check gaps?
3. hood..same question as #2

Any other suggestions?
Old 10-13-2013, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Give me a call.
I can explain the whole process to you.
818-469-1811
John Esposito
John Esposito's Porsche Repair
Old 10-22-2013, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

there are a couple of ways you can go about a cowl replacement .
the best is to have a jig to fit the window opening . i have one from porsche that has steps in it to fit from the outter skin then steps to were the window would sit into the opening and then steps again to the inside of the pinch weld .
how ever you can make one out of some 1/4" round stock to just fit the opening were the glass will sit into because you already have most of the sheet metal there like the roof skin and the A-pillers .
always make sure the car is square sitting level sitting on it's suspension would be best if your not rebuilding the car on a frame bench .
make the jig and weld it up when it's sitting in the opening with some cross bracing in the jig . clamp the jig in the window opening as your building it so it will not move around on you .
once your jig is built you then can cut out the old cowl panel and replace it with a new used one . making sure the jig you built fits the same as it did when the old cowl was in the car .
before all your welding is started test fit all the panels that but up to the new cowl and be sure they have the gaps you are looking for .
don't get lazy when fitting the other panels put in every bolt and tighten them down as they will be when the car is all back together .
porsche tends to have one or two thin washers between the back hood bolts closes to the cowl to lift the hoods back edge . so you may have to do the same and shim with washers the back two hood to hood hing bolts to get that gap were it has to be .
Old 10-23-2013, 06:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: