Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Buy Glasurit 22 line online or mail order?

Hi there,

Does anyone know of a place which will sell me the complete glasurit product line including mixed 22 line paint, and ship it to Minnesota?

Thanks! Jon
Old 10-19-2013, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

call paul francis and co . in new haven ct. at 2034071708 talk to geogre or dennis with your needs .
Old 10-19-2013, 10:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks! I intend to call them and ask about long term availability of 22 line. I am guessing and hoping that since it is VOC Compliant it will be available long term?
Old 10-20-2013, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I checked with my local distributor (Ontario, Canada) and they gave me a blank stare.

Is 22 line still made and available or are people just using old stock up? If you go to the basf website it seems as though they are still making it but I am wondering if I should stock up.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

22 line is still offered by BASF and used all the time .
i just shot the door and fender on a 1981 ferrari BB512 yesterday with it and on monday i shot the white hood and front bumper to a 1983 911in 22 line .
SO IS IT USED HELL YES ! if your looking to keep a older rare car as OE as possible you have to used single stage when it's called for .
the down side is the every day type repair shops don't use it as most all new cars are in base clear and for production reasons they only use B/C .
resto shops that work on old rare , classic and historic cars need to have S/S top coats so BASF has no plans to stop offering it any time soon .
after all if you own a old rare car your going to want it in the same finish that was offered from the manufacture .
PFC does not ship to canada as far as i know they will only ship to the lower 48 states .

here is some thing to think about .
3 weeks ago this guy stopped in with his 86 testarossa he had repainted in the same red but did it in base clear . the car looks good but the finish is just totaly wrong he was thinking it was best to have the car in base clear and the shop also told him it's a better way to go .
the 1st thing wrong was the shop has no idea of what they were selling the guy . they don't work on cars like that so that was the 1st mistake by the owner .
only take your car to a shop that knows about them . the 2nd mistake is the own only looked at the cost of what his car would cost to get repainted . the price i gave him he said was twice as high . but when i opened the car door you would not see a tape line from were they taped off the jams . shops will tnd to give a higher price because they are going to do a better job the right way .
then in no way as a shop owner do you sell the car owner a paint job that takes away the value from the car . you replace the finish with the LKQ that was there when the car was built .
so after all said and done the own of the car now has a car that does not win any shows (and that's what he was looking to do ) the value of the car is less and the only way now to fit it is to strip the new finish and start over and then spray it in single stage as it should be .

so don't give up and just paint your car in some thing it should not be painted in most all paint manufactures still offer single stage but the market is small for it so it does take some looking .
Old 10-25-2013, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Hi 962, thanks for the detailed reply (as always thanks for sharing with us all).

I am relieved to know that 22 line is still supported and available. I have a few projects ahead of me, and I am planning to use 22 for all of them. First one is a repaint on my 87 front bumper and hood. You guessed it, clear on both (a yellowish one at that) from a previous re-do to get rid of stone chips. Will be nice to return them to single stage GP white like the rest of the car!

As for shipping to Canada, Minnesota is close enough to me that it doesn't matter. I guess the local distributor has lost my business to Paul Francis. Support those who support us I always say.

Thanks and regards, Jon

Last edited by Jonny042; 10-25-2013 at 11:27 AM..
Old 10-25-2013, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

any luck on finding it? Francis does not ship.
will we get the same gloss from using a B/C coat?

Thanks
Old 11-14-2013, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

I have talked with the guys at PFC and was told they will ship with in the lower 48 .
I emailed the owner of PFC this morning to check again on shipping paints like I did last month after I was told they don't ship paints to find out they do and have shipped paints .
you have to talk to Dennis or George only if you call and one of the drivers pick up the phone they will tell you they will not ship paints as they are not in the loop .
this is the 3rd time i'm asking George if they ship paint so I will wait for his reply to my email to confirm if they do or not and get back to you guys about this .
Old 11-15-2013, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

ok I got a email right back from George yes they will ship to the lower 48 .
you may want to email him at georgemo23@aol.com this is his personal email .
you will find his knowledge of the BASF product lines 2nd to non along with one for the top sellers of BASF products in the US .
Old 11-15-2013, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ertech View Post
any luck on finding it? Francis does not ship.
will we get the same gloss from using a B/C coat?

Thanks
it's not gloss your looking for as B/C and single stage will have the same gloss . there is just a totally different look to single stage colors . single stage black for instance will give more depth to the look .
many solid colors in single stage tend to look more vibrant then they do if you spray clear over them .
when you clear some thing you do tend to change the color slightly this is because the light has to now shin back to you thru the clear coating .
this has to do with many things the 1st is not all clears are truly clear many have a cast to them many time the cast is on the yellow side .
the other is the depth of the clear even if there is no cast to it at all .
Old 11-15-2013, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
You can mix the reducer with the 22 Line paint but not the 929-XX hardener. 929-93 is normal. You can buy fast or slow depending on temp of booth (or garage)

Mixing ratios are available at the BASF site - Glasurit link - in pdf format.

Solid color single stage also is very forgiving if you paint individual panels at different times. Metallic and clear coats, well, lots of variables.

Here is the place I use. Don't know if they ship or not.

Ohio Automotive Refinishing Products For Auto Body Repair Jobs
Old 11-30-2013, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Are the 1998 993's in Arctic Silver 92T single stage, or B/C?

3 Things To Live By - You can't be Too Rich, Too Thin, or have Too Much Horsepower!
Old 03-12-2017, 11:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

dkbautosports.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by drb930 View Post
Are the 1998 993's in Arctic Silver 92T single stage, or B/C?
base clear
Old 03-13-2017, 06:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Most metalics are bace coat,single stage stage are usually solids.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-2017, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: