Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

low or no thickness corrosion protection?

I would appreciate any suggestions on low thickness, exact thickness or no thickness corrosion protection. Ideally we want to insert spherical bearings and these require exacting fit. I'd like to have the raw metal protected in some manner e.g. zinc plating or I guess passivate (phosphate) somehow and powder coat and try to get the final ID of the hole to the desired size.
Thanks.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

you should never do what your about to try or thinking of trying .
barings should always be pressed in to raw metals .
Old 10-31-2013, 04:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I'll review the interference specs. again with the bearing manufacturer. As initially explained to me some bearings require a significant press fit because they are made with the fracture method. A line of spherical bearings are made with the swage method allowing a light press fit or even a close slip fit. I'm still gathering info. If you are a spherical bearing application expert, by all means feel free to contact me and assist with the design. Could be that only raw metal without any plating is advised at the interface as you say, I'll ask that specific question. Thanks for your comment.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

not knowing what your intent is for the use of the bearings it's hard to say just what the out come will be if you do not remove the coatings from were a bearing will press in .
now ever as i build racing cars for a living we will never press a bearing into a coated press fit .
i could list the 100's of reasons why you would not want to and can't think of one why you would want to ?
if your thinking the bare metal will rust and seize on it's outter race to what your pressing the baring into were you can't remove the bearing then there is one ez way to get around that .
it's called a thin coat of white grease when you press the baring in .
if you think the baring will then spin on it's outter race ? it will not in any way do that !
the reason is it's a press fit and the tolerance should be 100% right for the fit of the baring , size and the application it's use will be for .
if your planing on using a snap ring also for a baring stay ( to hold the baring in place ) then you still need a press fit bearing the snap ring is used more for any side loads .
Old 10-31-2013, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: