Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

How Close Does this Need to Be? (Door, rocker, lock-post alignment?)

I've been struggling with deciding whether I've got the outer rocker, lock-post and door alignment right before nailing everything down permanently, but after getting it all tacked in (or a little more) I've discovered that the outer rocker profile stars falling away on the downstream end. My question is how close I really need to get this stuff to avoid creating problems later? I'd appreciate an opinion from one of you guys that actually know what you're doing.

I've got the front edge of the rear quarter cut out for the inner rocker, outer rocker and kidney bowl repair. After much finagling the reproduction lock post panel is in and fits up well with the section of the rear quarter that was left hanging.

The door's re-hung and the fender temporarily re-mounted and the door to front fender alignment looks pretty good on height and gap.

But, the top rear edge of the door is lower than the rear quarter edge by 1/16+" or so

which may be close enough, but seems like it should be closer. The bigger issue appears to be the rear end of the outer rocker which starts tapering in toward the center of the car 8-10" ahead of the where the rocker meets the lock-post.

There's more than a 1/16" gap at the rear end when I lay a straight edge along the rocker. I have no idea whether it came that way or got twisted or bent as I was trying to get all the pieces to fit.

Both pieces will be covered somewhat by the trim, but it looks like the trailing edge of the outer rocker should be rolled out and down slightly. I've toyed with the idea of making a cut, nominally along the dashed line in the next photo, spreading the rocker panel to get at least close to flush along the length of the rocker, and then welding the cut back together.

Does that make sense or is there another way to come at this?

Also, should the top of the door be lined up flush with the leading edge of the quarter panel or is this much of a difference "within tolerance"?

Any help or comments would be appreciated.
'06 Mini Cooper S

Restoring Jewel's 911e
Old 11-06-2013, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

1st i would bet on this car is not sitting on it's suspension but on some type of dolly in the center of the car ?

the next thing is you have the get the door gaps to the fender , rocker and qtr right before you cut away ant metal .
once you cut away the metal for the new lock post and go to install the new part should not weld any thing untill you get the gaps right were they should be . you could use self taping screws to hold the new part on place as clamps tend to get in the way of closing the door to check gaps . often is good toalso install the door gasket/weather seal when checking gaps . what will look good when the gasket is out to with it install maybe giving different gaps .
Old 11-07-2013, 03:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

It's not sitting on the suspension, but is in a Fishcop style octisserie that mounts to the suspension pickup points both front and rear.

Door gaps and alignment seemed fine before disassembly, but there was so many patches and fills from the previous owner's pop-rivet and filler repairs that it was hard finding a decent reference point along the bottom edge (the bottom of the front fender had been patched, the front edge of the door had been rolled out and puttied over, the rockers-inner and outer- were new replacement pieces, the original lock post was completely missing and covered with pop-riveted sheetmetal and an 1/8+" of filler, the replacement lock-post was a less than perfect match, and the front edge of the lower rear quarter- where it meets the rocker- was rusted away).

I have had the door, fenders and other pieces off and on trying to work out the fit, but I hadn't paid much attention to how straight the replacement outer rocker was. That was the one piece I thought I could use as a reference point. I thought it was all good enough until I noticed it tapering away where the outer rocker should meet the lower rear quarter.

I'm ok with do-overs, if necessary, since this is a learning experience and I'm not in big hurry anyway, but I'm looking for the best/easiest way out.
'06 Mini Cooper S

Restoring Jewel's 911e
Old 11-07-2013, 04:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: