Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

paint to sample question, special wishes color

So I recently purchased a 77 turbo Carrera, paint code 707, which is not a listed code. I called PCNA and they said paint was a paint to sample metallic. When I spoke with original owners wife, she mentioned car was brown and repaint metallic black at some point, color today. I pulled some parts off car and found some evidence of a bronze sort color that appears to be original color. So a couple of questions:
1. How does one decode these paint to sample colors.
2. A paint code that starts with a 7 should be some sort of black I thought.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

bump this up
Phil
Old 11-08-2014, 09:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Anyone ever see another 707 paint code car. Car is at a body shop for windows out repaint. Painter did find some original paint and was able to match- should be stunning when complete.
Phil
Old 10-11-2016, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
What did the color end up being if you know? Please post some pictures when it is sprayed too. Thanks.
1971 914-6 #0372
2016 Audi S3 DD
Old 10-12-2016, 05:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Color is called Dark Taupe Metallic - turns out my 77 is the only 3.0 turbo ever painted in that color. Should have car back from paint this summer

Phil
Old 03-04-2018, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

paint to sample meaning .
it means that the person that was ordering the car when they bought it new looked at the color book of the colors offered for that car for that year and picked one of the factory colors out of the book .
it doesn't not make the cars color a one off color . that would be a 99 or 999 or 9999 color code .

color codes will get superseded . i'm sure the 707 was one of the many superseded color numbers. i could look them up easy enough to see what it crossed over to the new color number .
because porsche used more then one plant to produce there cars the karmann plant and stuttgart plant do not use the same color codes for the same colors the plant that produced the most amount of cars will be the code number that wins out . they both could be the same colors but only the color number would be different .
Old 03-06-2018, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

It is my understanding that paint to sample can various things - for car under discussion exterior paint code on COA is listed as Metallic Paint to Sample/99. The original owner of car sent and object to Porsche and asked that car be painted that color. Car could be painted colors that had been previously used or even a color used by another manufacturer.

Phil
Old 03-06-2018, 05:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I should add the information I posted above has taken from turbo 3.0 - written by Ryan Snodgrass that contains the build histories for all the the 3.0 turbo's. There are quite a few one off colors used on the 3.0 turbo's. I am not trying to imply that there were not other Porsche models, years etc painted those colors but Ryan has cataloged what color code every car was painted- interestingly enough there were about 9 cars where no paint code information was available.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: