Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Best friend is my dog

Just gotta ask this

I have an 87' with original Guards Red single stage paint. Paint is getting thin and takes a lot of elbow grease to keep it looking decent. I would like to have a two stage paint job done and know that is a lot of work and is expensive. I hope my question doesn't make me sound cheap as I am an old geezer and don't want to invest a ton of money in a car that won't appreciate much in my remaining lifetime. So, the car has no dents, no dings and just a few minor scratches with very few chips and so here goes... Is it possible to have a paint job done that would be high quality (not show) without window, door, engine lid, and trunk lid removal? I don't mean an Earl Shieb special. Or am I smoking the wrong kind of tobacco?
Old 12-01-2013, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Your an old geezer so you know there is no such thing as free lunch, you get what you pay for. The key to a quality paint job is preparation, and that is mostly what you pay for.

It is possible to tape everything off and paint but you will likely have tape lines left behind and some areas that don't quite blend together.

The other thing is that it is likely the rubber seals need to be replaced and common areas checked for rust anyways. It isn't that hard to disassemble for paint.

The decision mostly depends on your budget.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
PhD on Pending Projects

Garage
Send a message via AIM to wachuko Send a message via Yahoo to wachuko
At a minimum, you need to remove the glass... or it will look like a cheap job... there is no way to tape the window rubber seal to make it look decent... doors, hood, and trunk lid...well, just know that you will notice the line where the tape was when you lift the hood or trunk. If you can live with that, fine.

But again, at a minimum, remove the glass... and get new front/rear window seals.

Why not just continue to use it as it is... best to have it look with an aged patina than a compromised paint job... just my humble opinion...

1967 - Porsche 912
1981 - Porsche 911 SC
1991 - Porsche 911 C4 Wide-body Cabriolet
Old 12-01-2013, 12:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The garage pic of your car looks great! I think that a detailed could touch up chips and buff out any scratches with some finishing compound.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Best friend is my dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by snbush67 View Post
Your an old geezer so you know there is no such thing as free lunch, you get what you pay for.
No doubt about it, us old geezer's know for sure that you get what you pay for. To me, a great body man and painter is no less than what a great artist is. Just another form of inherited talent that the rest of us get to admire. I really appreciate the above posts and will just have to decide what to do. I like the patina of my car and really have never had anyone point out any flaws in it but, I also like the look of a nice shinny finish of a good clear coat job. The post informing of paint lines because of not removing the windows would be the most critical that probably really would prevent a repaint of this nature. The car buffs out real good but, does not stay nice and shinny very long like it did years back. I assume that is because of single stage or am I wrong.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

there are ways to go about repainting a car (911) with out having to do things like R and I the glass and taping the jams so you don't see tape lines .
if the glass seals (gaskets) are in good shape you can do what is called roping them .
that is taking a thin piece of twin and pushing it under the glass seals to lift the seal off the cars body so the paint will go under them .
when it comes to jams there are products also made for masking jams that will not leave a tape edge .
are they the best way to go ? well no ! but like I said there are more than one way to sjin a cat .
you would still have to remove many parts off the car like handles , badge's and on a 911 the hood will still need to be removed so you would not see a tape line on the cowl panel .
as for base clear being more durable than a single stage finish that is not true ! they are less to maintain after some time but they do not in any way last any longer . that is not what base clear is for . base / clear fail in a different way that is all they do . so if you think by doing your car in base / clear it will last longer for get it .
all top grades of paint are designed to last about 7 years before they will fail .
a mid grade finish will last about 5 years and a low grade will last about 3 .
you can extend the life if you keep the finish clean and touch up chips .
on todays finishes waxing does nothing at all wax was and is designed for the old lacquer and non hardened enamel finishes . don't get me wrong that wax does nothing but it will not make the finish last any longer .
in my own shops we have proved the fact many times that wax does nothing to make a finish last . the UV rays still go right thru wax so if the finish is failing it will keep failing .
with single stage finishes they fail by fading were a clear coat finish fail by yellowing , checking and cracking . either way once they fail they fail and there is no real way to save them . the good about single stage is in most cases you will not have to strip the finish when failing like you will have to do with a clear when they fail .
there is also one more thing to think about and that is if the car has a single stage OE finish and you put a B/C finish on the car you will take some of the value away for the car .
case and point with that is the Ferrari 308 I gave to my niece for her 17th b-day the car came with a single stage red finish some one repainted the car in base clear and the value of the car with a B/C finish is worth about 4 to 5 K less because of it . it is just not what the purest is looking for they want a car how it came from Ferrari the same will hold true with Porsche or any top auto maker . my 993 i'm selling right now has a rsr kit on the car it may look cool but the car is worth more with out the kit so I changed the car back to the OE look to sell it .
the car will sell faster and is now worth more stock .
Old 12-01-2013, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Best friend is my dog

962porsche, thanks for all the helpful information and excellent explanations. I really appreciate it and wished I lived down the street from your shop as my car would be parked there in the morning. I myself love the single stage paint for the soft look as to me a lot of the clear coats have kind of a plastic look or maybe it's just my old eyes. I had a Jag Mark 9 many years ago that I purchased new and it had the most beautiful lacquer paint job in black. When waxed it was a real knockout looking car and we had the old J-wax which did a real number on it. I will have to make a decision on what to do as if I pull the plug I would like to get it done before spring. Have a good holiday season coming up and again, thanks.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: