Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Jeremy

Garage
Primer under the undercoat?

Hi!
I will be sending my 68 912 to have the under side, engine bay, trunk, and interior floor media blasted soon. They have offered to apply my paint of choice as well.

I plan on using some kind of body shultz in the engine bay, underside of the car and trunk but maybe not on the interior floor?...anyway my question is should I have them prime those areas before I apply the shultz or should I try to get them to apply the shultz directly to the bare metal?

Any advise would be great!
Old 12-16-2013, 10:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Jeremy

Garage
There does seem to be a white primer under the undercoat on the bottom of the back seat buckets....

Maybe have them use an etching primer where they blast?
Old 12-16-2013, 10:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

good god why on earth would you want to spray a chip guard on the inside panels of a car ?

chip guards / schutz / stone guards what ever product you use is not a DTM product so you have to use a E-primer under it .
spray the e-primer you choose let it dry then scuff with a red pad . blow the area's off then tack it using a good clean tack rag . then spray your texture coat (chip guard) .

a little FYI
undercoats are what is referred to when your talking about primers and products used under your top coats .
undercoating is the totally use less black crap that should never be used on any car for any reason . it's roofing tar in a spray can does nothing for a car .

schutz is the german word for guard or protect but is the 3M trade mark name for there product . the name that covers all the products is chip or stone guard .
Old 12-17-2013, 03:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Jeremy

Garage
Thanks for the info. I was hoping you'd reply.
As for chip guard inside the car, on my 68 912 there is chip guard everywhere in the interior except for the dash and floor boards. That means on the parcel shelf, rear seat buckets, under the dash, trunk and engine bay.
I will have them blast it all then have them etch prime everything and then respray said areas with Schultz.

Sorry for the miss speak. By "undercoat" I meant products like Schultz and or other chip guards.
The rubberized stuff is trash.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

it's called schutz not Schultz .
you replace it were and how Porsche does it but not worth spraying it were they did not put it .
Old 12-18-2013, 04:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: