Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Bumper Kit Suggestions

My first visit to this forum, as I try to confine my activities to things I can do with a wrench.

It appears that this is mostly a Porsche forum. If so, please excuse the intrusion by a wandering BMW driver.

However, daughter called today to say that she rear ended someone with her '97 328i BMW. Grills are mashed in, electric fan is gone, hood is tweeked and won't open. Car sounds and drives fine, but only in the daytime. Headlights illuminate but are no longer aimed.

If I have to rebuild that front end, I would like to dress it up a bit with more of an M-styled bumper. However, the kits I looked at this evening appear to be a major pain to install, requiring a lot of custom brackets for mounting and lights and so forth.

Are there any bumpers or bumper/grill kits that are reasonably robust and are simple bolt-on kits?
Old 12-19-2013, 09:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

no it not just a Porsche forum it covers all cars !
when it comes to kits any kit you will have to do some cut fitting and fabritcation work to get the parts to fit and look like some thing .
even the so called best kits will need so fitting to make it look right .

if your car was hit hard enough to take out the fans then i'm sure the car will need a little pull on the upper tie bar and maybe even the rail ends may need a pull .
so if your thinking your just going to unbolt what is there and bolt on new part and your done . I would dough it very much ?
Old 12-20-2013, 04:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Daughter sent pic. What do you think? Easy fix or more than a novice should attempt? Problem is, if I can't fix it , a nice car will get junked, and that will be a shame.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

a car like this I would say is worth 2000 to 2500 for a good one . you will have that if not more into the parts and materials for the car . I would say the car is a total lose sad yes but you can replace it for what is going to cost to fix . if a shop was going to repair it in my area then it's a 3800 to 4200 dollar job ez .
from the looks your dealing with a bent upper support . it will need to be replaced I would bet .but it would still need a light pull to bring the right fender back to were it needs to be .
you may need a AC condenser . maybe even a radiator if any of the tabs broke off that hold it in place . just because a tab or two could be broken does not mean it leaks .
then you need a hood , fascia , two grill's , head lamp right side with the ajusters , right side lamp , repair the right fender I bet , front pusher fan and shroud ,
the parts you can find used on car-parts.com as for the work if your asking if you can do the job only you can answer that .
Old 12-20-2013, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the input. I encouraged her to fix it because I really like this car. She bought $595 worth of junk yard parts and she and I put them on. This is the result.

This was before I adjusted the hood.

The front edge of the hood is scratched up pretty bad, but it needs to be painted anyway. Now she just needs to find someone to paint it.

The mechanical stuff is all done except for connecting the windshield washers. Fitting the hood was a pain, but I finally got it perfect.

Last edited by Manolito; 01-02-2014 at 10:19 PM..
Old 01-02-2014, 10:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Manolito,

Why don't you try painting it? You did a fine job putting the parts on. Lots of good information on here about painting a car yourself. Just search. 962Porsche gives really great advice. Go to my thread top coating U-pol Gravitex. 962Porsche is working with me to get my paint system in order. I have chosen to go with Glasurit/RM but there are less expensive brands out there that will do the job.

Another good site is with a forum is autobodystore.com. If you do not feel up to painting yourself try a technical school. round my area they will often work on cars for the cost of supplies.

The car looks good so far.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Project Addicted

Looks great! You CAN paint it :-)

It's worth the try to do it or strip it, sand it and take it to someone to shoot it. The do the reassemble.

1966 912
1976 911 3.4 Backdate Project
1986 944
Old 01-03-2014, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

The shop that paints trucks for the company where she works painted the hood and grill area for $700.

I drove it the other evening. That car sounds and runs better than my '04 that has half the miles.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: