Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

962porsche,

Again, really good information - thanks for sharing.

Hmmm, I wonder how much shipping would be to have you re-finish my tank . Actually, I'm not too concerned about the color being a perfect match, but I have seen tanks that were painted a glossy grey, and I prefer the semi-gloss of the original finish.

Do you know if the grey 3M 08889 would be ok to use stand-alone, or does it need to be topcoated? If no topcoat is needed, does this dry to a semi-gloss finish?
Early911SReg #2945
Old 02-23-2014, 09:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

all the stock gray colors offered with chip guards we did spray outs of were not a match to the fuel tanks .
this is why we ended up tinting the chip guard .
when we used to go to shows we would see so many fuel tanks that you could tell from many feet away they are not right . the color or gloss would be totally wrong .

it's all the little details that make for a good resto . many shops can do a resto but from what I have seen very few do a correct one .
you will always tend to see things like hinges over painted along with things like wheel houses completely sprayed in body color .
you will see on unrestored cars things like hardly any color on parts like the under side of the door jams . you would never see it if your not laying on your back looking up at the bottom side of the door but it's part of a resto if your making it a 100% accurate one .
Old 02-24-2014, 04:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Thought I'd post a couple pics of my front end refurb. I have no experience in this field. Very pleased with results. Outer wings back from paint in a week.

With colour applied:

Old 03-09-2014, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankc View Post
I saw several mentions that the beige SKS is no longer available, but it still listed on the Wurth USA site:

https://shoponline.wurthusa.com/wurthusa/servlet/CyberVendor/category/G4228734/catalog/group.jsp/

Perhaps the website is just out of date. I also saw some posts about 3M having a similar product available in either grey or beige - which of these two products they are referring to?:

3M Rocker Panel Coating, 23 ounce, Grey, 08889
3M Rocker Panel Coating, 23 ounce Net Wt / 600g, Grey, 08889

3M Rocker Schutz Beige - 08874
3M Rocker Schutz Coating 08874

It seems the "3M Rocker Shutz" would be a good match for the Wurth beige, and maybe the "3M Rocker Panel Coating" for the gas tank, although I can't tell if the latter needs to be top coated.
I wanted to provide an update on the topic of chip-guard/SKS/Schutz/Underseal colors.

I purchased both the 3M products listed above with the goal of coming as close as possible to matching the light grey/ivory colored SKS on the bottom of my (silver) 911.

Thinking that the grey would have been too dark, I assumed that the beige was going to be the closest match. But when I applied it to a sample board, the beige turned out to have too much brown/red tint to it. So then I tried the grey, and this was a very close match in color. The original SKS is old and stained in some spots from an undercoat that was originally applied on top, but otherwise I'm happy with the results. Note: I applied epoxy primer to the area first per the 3M instructions.

The one big difference with the 3M product is that the surface texture is different. The original SKS can actually be waxed and it takes on a satin finish. The 3M product is more flat, but that could have been due to the way I applied it.

Left: 08874 (beige), Right: 08889 (light grey). Note: on the white area of the 08889 can I put a dab of each product; 08874 on left, 08889 on right.

Before:

After: 3M 08889 to rear of tunnel and center of torsion tube
Early911SReg #2945

Last edited by frankc; 04-21-2014 at 09:27 AM..
Old 04-20-2014, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Looks good. 0889 is the color in your photo and you applied it with a gun?
Old 04-21-2014, 02:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcoastline View Post
Looks good. 0889 is the color in your photo and you applied it with a gun?
Yes, 08889 (light grey), but no gun. 08874 requires the gun (which I purchase but never used). 08889 is a spray can, so no gun required.

I edited my original post to indicate the colors in the photo.

Note: In the photo of the two cans, on the white area of the 08889 can I put a dab of each product; 08874 on left, 08889 on right. You can clearly see the difference in color. I will add this note to my original post.
Early911SReg #2945
Old 04-21-2014, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

That's a real close match. How is the build up? Does it go on like spray paint or does it have pretty good mil thickness like original?

I saw those little smudges. I thought they were little dabs of product.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcoastline View Post
How is the build up? Does it go on like spray paint or does it have pretty good mil thickness like original?
The directions on the can state:

"Texture can be varied by adjusting application speed, distance and coating thickness"

I did not really experiment with this too much given the location and small area I was covering.
Early911SReg #2945

Last edited by frankc; 05-15-2014 at 07:26 PM..
Old 04-21-2014, 10:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: