Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Interior strip

Hello all. Been lurking for a while and haven't needed to post because the search function has always worked. More info than I know what to do with

I had a small leak in the rear window of my 81SC that turned into a touch of rust in the rear seat well. I have the interior stripped and almost have the glue totally removed, along with the old sound deadener on the floor pans. My question is, I have the original paint, some bare metal, and a touch of surface rust that needs tending to. Is there something that I can use over the whole inside, over all three surfaces, that will prime and seal. I plan on using a top coat, and then going to give the Lizard Skin a try. I am thinking that some self-etching primer will work fine, but have been seeing mixed reviews about using it over existing paint. I don't want to have to take it down to bare metal, and I don't want it to rust out from under me.

I know one of you gurus has a good fix.

Thanks.

Josh
Old 03-11-2014, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

lizard skin products I have used now many times and I like them .

if you still have some rust then using a E -primer will not do what you want it to . E-primers are for clean metals . it does not stop rust were it is already rusting .

i'm not into things like rust converters my feeling is to remove the rust from the car .
I have used them in the past from time to time and have had good luck using them so it's not to say rust converters don't work .
I have also used rust encapsulators too with the same results .
with out seeing what your dealing with I would say a encapsulator is what you may want to use ?
you can roll , brush or spray most of them and use just about any top coat over the top along with lizard skin .
just let it dry and then red pad and lizard skin the areas you want .

one thing to check is some products will not stick if you 1st use a converter and then go over the top of it with a encapsulating product . most is one or the other but not both so check with the TDS on the products you pick .
Old 03-12-2014, 04:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Thanks a ton.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: