Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
Who paints and wears glasses?

I owned a collision/resto shop for 18 yrs. Still have the Celette. I sold out about 20 yrs ago and became an insurance adjuster. I work storm claims now and have lots of free time in the winter and before the storms hit. I went back into the shop lately to pass the time. My eye sight was perfect back when I had the shop. At 56 now I wear glasses. I have been away from painting for quite awhile so this issue never presented itself. What do you guys that wear glasses apply to the lenses to keep the overspray off? Not so much to even keep the overspray off but to be able to clean the lenses after your done spraying.
WCC 04 done by the kids
Who says Aliens only abduct people.

Last edited by rich; 03-31-2014 at 09:26 PM..
Old 03-31-2014, 09:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I wear a face shield.....

Dennis
Old 04-01-2014, 05:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

I started wearing glass now my self and it really sucks big time !
with fresh air supply and a full hood your glasses will not get over spray on them .
how ever a full fresh air supply and hood is a PITA if your just spotting in a little area or a small repair .
the other day I just sprayed a complete tube chassis I built for a racecar .
and yes my glasses got covered with over spray but that is not the only problem with glasses . when your wearing them in conjunction with a respirator they tend to fog up all the time . anti fog spray on the glasses helps in the fogging a little but your left with the over spray . to combat the over spray I have 6 pairs I use for working only and will change them out as i'm painting . when i'm finished and waiting for the things to flash off I clean them .
real glass with wire frames you can clean with thinner plastic ones are the problem . you can wipe the plastic ones with a paper towel . how ever they will scratch after a short time using them . with plastic I have to buff them every so often . to do that I use a 3" buffer and some light compound just like you do with a cars finish . the over spray tends not to get on the back side of the glasses and only on the face of them .
after i'm finished
Old 04-01-2014, 05:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Could contact lenses possibly be an option?

"If you have everything under control,
you are going to slow..."
Old 04-01-2014, 06:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Black and Blue

Send a message via Yahoo to Kemo
learning to paint at night at the local community college... over time, my safety glasses got overspray built up on them. one of the guys in the class says clay bar takes it off...so I tried it and it worked for me. and this is z87 poly carb, so if you have real glass glasses, it might work
Old 04-21-2014, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Nope, plastic lenses with auto darkening stuff. I used finger nail polish remover to get the Irish paint off. I think next time I'll try some nascar tear offs. LOL
WCC 04 done by the kids
Old 04-21-2014, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Black and Blue

Send a message via Yahoo to Kemo
well...I wonder if the clay bar would work on regular ole plastic lenses. I was under the impression that Polycarbonate was actually easier to scratch than plastic but was more impact resistant.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

I have tried the clay bar trick in the past and have scratched my glasses . they were plastic .
if you notice the over spray does not real get on the back sides so I will wear safety glasses over the reading glasses . there made a little tougher so cleaning them becomes much easier .
there is some thing to think about .
you see your glasses with over spray ?
your exposed skin is also getting covered with the same crap that is very harmful to you .
Old 04-22-2014, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Ya, a head sock works pretty good. My old booth was a home built down draft. I used the cross draft Binks towers and had a "T" shaped pit in the floor. I covered the top of the "T" between the towers and part of the top of the "T". I had a big grate under the car. I never had overspray in my booth but I have used two other guys booths and found them less effective.
WCC 04 done by the kids
Old 04-22-2014, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: