Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
dkbautosports.com

you should never paint a area such as that . 1st the little bit of paint would not do your hub any good if the paint pealed off . even a little piece could cause damage if it gets into the baring .
then there is the install of the baring race . it is sized to press on the stub with out paint . if you manage to get the race on with paint over time the race could spin and ruin the stub .
then there is no need for paint as the stub is or should be coated with axel grease and pretty much sealed for the weather .

the same rule does apply where the brake caliper mates to the bracket . there should be no paint in the area there also . this is because you will get a faults torque on the caliper bolts and over time they may walk them self's loose .
also if your finish is not totally cured when you reinstall the caliper it may move the not yet cured finish and later on down the road moisture could get between the finish next to the mount and start to rust in that area .
what I do is hold the caliper up to the mount then draw a pencil line at the edge of the caliper on the mount . I then remove the finish off the mount to the pencil line .
will it rust between the two surfaces ? no ! it should be self sealing were no moisture well get between the two parts .

Old 06-25-2014, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
962porsche: thanks for clarification on not leaving paint on the caliper-to-strut interface. I'm not sure where you got the idea that someone was going to paint the stub though.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrino View Post
962porsche: thanks for clarification on not leaving paint on the caliper-to-strut interface. I'm not sure where you got the idea that someone was going to paint the stub though.

sadly it's been done by people . as the question you was asking about had to do with the strut I though it would be wise to also make it clear for others that may read this posting that just being lazy and not masking off any thing is not a smart idea .

that's all nothing to do with what your were asking .
Old 06-25-2014, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Even a Bad day is good

Garage
masking

when i was masking the strut i thought, hmm i wonder if i should mask this off,,then thought no, it would be best to be painted.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

I always just paint them and then remove the paint after .
I use a 2" red rollocks to strip the paint back off .
Old 06-25-2014, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Location: Placerville, CA.... You know, the only place on Highway 50 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe the you find signal lights. Above the fog most of the time and I can see the stars of the Milky Way 8 out of 10 nights. Kinda cool.....
Garage
Any updates you would like to share about the Fuji turbine sprayer? Looking into the Fuji line.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1978 911SC Targa
Working Projects: 1968 912
Old 08-25-2019, 10:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Even a Bad day is good

Garage
fuji

i used it quite a bit on my undercarriage parts, engine tin and primered the doors, fenders and removable parts but the final paint was done by a pro as i was not experienced enough to do it properly.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Even a Bad day is good

Garage
examples

have some pictures of what i did.
works nicely,k i think if you used it a lot you could do a pro job.
mixing is important

Old 08-27-2019, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Even a Bad day is good

Garage
finished job

this is the finished was done with Glauserit by a pro
Old 08-27-2019, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Even a Bad day is good

Garage
finish

this is it
Old 08-27-2019, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Location: Placerville, CA.... You know, the only place on Highway 50 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe the you find signal lights. Above the fog most of the time and I can see the stars of the Milky Way 8 out of 10 nights. Kinda cool.....
Garage
Thanks for getting back to my question.

That looks fantastic!!! Knowing what you now know, would you do it again? Buying the same one?

I am helping a friend with a couple painting projects and have some to do myself. I am lookin at the Fuji Q5 Platinum. Looks like I can use it for car, aviation, home so itís not a one-n-done tool. I have actually gotten more info from the wood working forums about the versatility of these units.

Many car guys I have discovered use the compressor since itís already in their tool arsenal. I get the reasoning but if it came down to buying a big dual-stage compressor and other bits, I am kinda right there in cost.

I also like the portability since we do not have a garage at our home.

Cheers

1978 911SC Targa
Old 08-27-2019, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Even a Bad day is good

Garage
fuji

I would and have used it.
get a smaller spray gun with it too.
I used true expoxy primer, and real auto paint for this work but I highly recommend that you get a remote breathing mechanism, a full face hood, tyvek outfit, booties for your shoes as this paint will kill you.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
Thatís good to know about the smaller gun. Fuji now they offer a compact side mounted cup. Great for odd angles. The cup swivels allowing it to remain upright.

1978 911SC Targa
Old 08-28-2019, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugstrider View Post
Thanks for getting back to my question.

That looks fantastic!!! Knowing what you now know, would you do it again? Buying the same one?

I am helping a friend with a couple painting projects and have some to do myself. I am lookin at the Fuji Q5 Platinum. Looks like I can use it for car, aviation, home so itís not a one-n-done tool. I have actually gotten more info from the wood working forums about the versatility of these units.

Many car guys I have discovered use the compressor since itís already in their tool arsenal. I get the reasoning but if it came down to buying a big dual-stage compressor and other bits, I am kinda right there in cost.

I also like the portability since we do not have a garage at our home.

Cheers

in our home garage out on long island i only have a smaller size 110 volt air compressor even being the biggest 110 you can get it's not enough to spray anything big. i took my turbine sprayer out to the island and have been using it a lot.
to get around the lack of having a big air compressor i use lots of electric tools like sanders and cut off wheel from harbor freight.
what 47silver said about getting a smaller gun too is great advice.
i did pickup a smaller gun my self and used to to repaint the rim on our 458 ferrari that got bent from a pot hole. one of my projects i'm doing is restoring one of our NA miata's i dropped the suspension out of her and sandblasted every thing at my shop in hamden CT. then took the parts home to long island and have been painting them at home.
in short if you don't have enough air to spray larger size things or even a hole car the turbine sprayers are a great way to go. they work just as good as any other type of body shop paint guns.
Old 08-31-2019, 03:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 962porsche View Post

what 47silver said about getting a smaller gun too is great advice.
Good to know, when you guys are talking about a smaller gun, are you talking about a Fuji OEM small gun or any type of aftermarket small gun?

It looks like Fuji offers the never side cup.

1978 911SC Targa
Old 09-06-2019, 10:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

get the small touchup gun Fuji has. it's a good gun.

Old 09-09-2019, 05:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: