Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

SS over Sealer - wet or dry ?

What are the rules for single stage paints over sealers ?
I know wet over wet is wait 1/2 hour with a single coat and 60 minutes if two coated but can you shoot the 22 line over a dry / sanded sealer ?
Old 07-13-2014, 09:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

it depends on what sealer your using if you can wait until it dries so you can sand it of not and then just go over it with top coat or if you have to spray more sealer down and the go wet on wet .
Old 07-14-2014, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Is there a time period between sanding the sealer and when the top coat is applied ?
8 hours / 24 hours / 1 week ?
We plan on sanding, but is there a significant advantage either way or do people go wet on wet because they can get the job completed sooner ?

The sealer is a PPG. 3 part system (primer, hardener, and reducer)

Last edited by Drbraunsr; 07-14-2014 at 07:36 PM..
Old 07-14-2014, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

most sealers are made for wet on wet applications .
so sanding them is not what you would really want to do .
some sealers you can sand if you run into trouble but you should not be looking to sand sealers as part of the painting proses .
the hole point of sealers are to give a uniformed finish under your top coats and to aid in offering better adhesion of your top coats to your under coats .

wet on wet is just that . wet coat or two of a sealer then you let the sealer flash off for 15 minutes to (with most ) no more then a hour then you apply your top coat wet right over the top of the sealer .

because you have gone thru all the steps to clean , wipe down and tack off the car the last thing you would want to do is sand the sealer . you will make more dust if you do it dry or could trap water if you wet sand the sealer .

you stated your using PPG sealer but because they offer many different sealers it does not tell just which sealer it is .
if I were you I would get a TDS on the products your looking to use . the TDS will tell you just what to do and not to do with the products your using .
Old 07-15-2014, 05:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

The product is DPLV epoxy primer and the TDS is just as you describe: to Topcoat, 1 coat @ 30 minutes ( or 60 minutes with 2 coats but I'm only spraying 1).

Thank you, as always.

Last edited by Drbraunsr; 07-17-2014 at 08:06 PM.. Reason: More info
Old 07-17-2014, 08:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Reporting back with the results. The Iwata gun was certainly better than I was, but I had my son helping so that evened out the battle. It certainly is orange. Thanks to 962 and others for the advice, it made all the difference. Some orange peel, but that'll buff out - as the saying goes. This project started out as a stock SC with flares and spoiler added. We'll post more pix as we bolt stuff back on....

Old 07-22-2014, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

dkbautosports.com

looks good !
Old 07-22-2014, 08:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: