Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Sourcing 930 body panels

Hi all,

My '87 930 is need of a driver's rear quarter and possibly a driver's front fender due to an accident. I have not had any success sourcing second hand. Can anyone recommend a supplier. Would factory panels be available? Are they significantly more than used ones?

I appreciate any insight.

Thanks. will
Old 08-14-2014, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Will, this may be a stupid question, but have you called a parts manager at a Porsche dealer?
Old 08-14-2014, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hey John,
Not a stupid question. The answer is I have not. I recalled another member mentioning that the panels aren't that much more from the factory and that one may get a PCA discount. It popped in my head on the way home from work this evening. I plan on calling tomorrow.

Hope you're enjoying your summer.

Thanks
Old 08-14-2014, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I'd say that if new factory panels are available, buy them. The bodyshop you are dealing with should be able to buy them from the Porsche dealer at a trade discount of at least 20% off list, maybe more (standard industry practice). Then you just need to get the bodyshop to agree to not mark those parts up to you. Using Genuine Parts will give you the results you want and the repair integrity you need. Only other choice would be used parts, which CAN be ok, but you must factor in extra costs of stripping old paint, prepping for welding etc., plus they may have bondo in from pervious repairs. Can be a false economy if prices are close. New Genuine Porsche parts is what you should aim for. Best of luck, John.
ps I bought my first 911, an 82 SC in July. The motor is out and apart (failed head studs) so it will be a while until I save up for the parts and machine work, but its a great start and I am very psyched.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

So the Alpha has a sibling?? Congrats! The SC is a great car. It would be the next one I buy and I was considering one as I worked through what to so with my 930 post tire wall visit. I think they are fantastic cars and the 915 box is quick and light. Send pics!
Old 08-15-2014, 03:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

as a shop owner we would not opt for using used parts the reason is what is called clean up time .
that is the time it takes to clean and prep the part to the point of it being like a new panel to weld it on or install it .
most of the time to do this the cost is the same and at times it's even more money .
labor it not free .

as for having a body shop buy the parts and give you there shops price off list .
you better have some buttery soft lips for that !
list price is what the average person will spend at all dealers for parts . shops get pricing off list to make money on the money they spend . that is called business and how businesses make money . because the labor rates of body shops are half of what a mechanical repair shop is and yet all shops over heads and running costs are the same . making money on parts is about half of shops profits to make money to pay the over head of the shop .
often customers will think they save money when they buy there own parts and drop them off to the shop for installing them . in fact every shop owner I know pads there bills to make the difference up for there lose in parts sales for customers doing this .
again it's business shops are not in business to give things away . most people don't go to work and work a day at there job for free . you want to get a honest days pay for a honest days work well so do shops .
we will at times for good customers knock 5 to 8% off list depending on the customer and the size of the job .
Old 08-15-2014, 04:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

962porsche,

I appreciate you sharing first hand insight and advice.

In any "deal" I do from work to personal, I shy away from grinding the other guy down. Both sides need to walk away feeling that they've been treated fairly.

BTW if I get a quote from a shop owner for X and it's in my budget and includes the work requested in the timeframe discussed, what do I care if the guy makes 10% or 25%? It fit my needs and he is happy.

I'd have to agree with you about good customers getting the best deals. But there are a lot of ways to be a good customer most of which don't involve soft lips.

Thanks again for sharing and your interest. I've read some of your other posts and find them very knowledgeable.

Will
Old 08-15-2014, 05:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

soft lips will help !
yes what your saying is right ! most shops will work with the customers as I do . all I'm saying is don't except your going to get the 20 % that a shops gets .
Old 08-15-2014, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
962's point is valid...i was just thinking that if you're spending $20k+ on labor that maybe he'd not mind foregoing a bit of gross on the parts...but agree that ultimate goal is for no one to feel chiseled. And please...don't buy those burnt panels someone mentioned...cheers, John
Old 08-15-2014, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

many times people will look at the total cost of the hole job and think 20K is a **** load of money .
it is but you have to also think about what it cost us just to own the shop .
just the shop insurance a month is over 1000 dollars . if you add in the cost of the insurance for the repair plates for the cars your looking at about 1500 to 2000 K a month just for insurance .
your electric bill is average 1500 a month . why run a air compressor for 8 to 10 hours a day then add in the uses of welders then the booth before you turn the heat on . the heat bills to bake cars is very high also the uses of heat for the booth in one month is what I spend for my houses fuel bill all year .
the run of the mill insurance co's will pay a shop a average of 50 dollars an hour out of that you have all the over head and running costs . this is why years ago we stopped working on the run of the mill daily driven cars and started to only work on high end cars with insurance coverage to match . now add in the cost to hire good people that are tops in there field . I pay them 50 an hour plus . you can't have some kid making 20 dollars an hour working on your 300K car . that type of person works for the every day body shops and you will get just what you pay for .
for the 50 dollars an hour you get a body guy that can weld your flares on and use no body filler to fix all the crap that come out wrong . his work is metal finished and just primed .
when need be he can make a panel lets see that 20 dollar an hour guy do that .

so what it comes down to is yes we also have to make money off the parts we buy and sell to the customers . we do know some off list most of the time . but a good customer will always be working together with you and he always has you doing his work for him . he is not some one you only see once and never again . I have customers I have restored and repaired many of there cars . they are the ones that dropping 60 plus on a resto and don't think twice about it .
not the person that wants a bare metal up frame off job for 20K and thinks it's a lot of money .
Old 08-15-2014, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: