Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

How do I attack this dent?

Unfortunately I bumped into the fender of my 930 so now I have to make it right again.

Dammit! by willtel, on Flickr

I have some body work and paint experience so I'm not too concerned about it but this will be the most significant dent I have tackled. With one this severe what do I do first? Go at it with a hammer and dolly or use a stud welder and slide hammer followed by hammer and dolly work?

Last edited by willtel; 09-23-2014 at 07:35 AM..
Old 09-23-2014, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to rgofast
That is definitely stretched, so you will have to do some shrinking
1999 996 Carrera Cabriolet
Old 09-23-2014, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgofast View Post
you will have to do some shrinking
Without a doubt.

Do I start with shrinking to try and get it to come back into shape? I have some shrinking hammers I can whack it with. Would it be better to try to use a shrinking disk?
Old 09-23-2014, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
paint huffer

knock it out as far as you can with a stud welder if available, or just a hammer, then work it with a hammer and dolly, then shrinking disc. This one wasn't as bad as yours, but shows what can be done with minimal work and no filer needed

993 collision damage
Old 09-24-2014, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Nice work scotty! That gives me something to strive for. I'm going to pick up a stud welder for this as I have a dent in the door jamb of my daily driver I can also use it on. I'll post some pics once I get started.

How was blending the paint on that 993? I'm really concerned about getting the white to match but I would assume yellow is in the same realm.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
paint huffer

Single stage Spies. Not too bad to blend
Old 09-25-2014, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

dkbautosports.com

you will find a shrinking disc will not work as well as they do on panels that are flat or have simple shapes to them .
in your case you have compound curves and the body line of the wheel opening .
you can easily get to the back side of the fender once the wheel is removed to work the panel with a hemmer and dolly .
there is no need for using a stud gun on this repair as you can get to both sides with nothing in the way .

when it comes to matching the color I would go to your area BASF glasurit paint store .
I'm guessing the color code is 908 on your car there is I think 7 color chips to look at on that color . BASF has what are called color max color chips they are real spray out done for you with real paint right from BASF . there is not a need to go buy any color and do spray out wasting your money and time . just have the paint store look up the color code and pull the chips you need to see . hold them up to the car in the sun and shade find your best match and have them mix the amount of color you need for the repair .
you have a dent in the middle of the panel so there should be no reason to blend into the panels next to the fender .
Old 09-26-2014, 04:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
less I know,more I learn

Garage
That's a nasty looking dent. The easiest way to fix that dent is replace the fender with a good straight one.That doesn't mean you can't fix that dent.Forget the stud gun,that's for areas you can't get at.Still a great tool to have,can be used for shrinking.You can work that out with a hammer & dolly.Take your time working it out,little by little you can work the metal straight so you don't need to much filler.This forum is awesome.There's pros here that will help people with anything.Cheers
Old 10-23-2014, 01:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Some days you just have to head out to the garage and beat your Porsche with a hammer!

I got a decent amount done with hammers and dollies. I've ordered a shrinking disk that I plan to attack it with next. Dent be gone!

IMG_2915 by willtel, on Flickr

[IMG]IMG_2919 by willtel, on Flickr[/IMG]

IMG_2926 by willtel, on Flickr

IMG_2928 by willtel, on Flickr
Old 01-06-2015, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Bye bye dent ".
Old 01-07-2015, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Black and Blue

Send a message via Yahoo to Kemo
Scotty... excellent work on the yellow 993!!! amazing that you were able to get that smoothed out without using any filler.

willtel, looking good as well, thanks for posting
Old 01-08-2015, 12:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Can someone explain the main steps to using these so called hammer and dolly?
You just hammer from the inside, and use the dolly blocks to shape the fender?

Then you will have a rippled fender.

Then you just grind it down smooth?
The shrinking disk gets rid of the ripples?
Old 01-08-2015, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Black and Blue

Send a message via Yahoo to Kemo
sugarwood,

im no pro, but the hammer and dolly takes a bit of practice and some patience. Lots of different techniques and dolly types. the talented guys can make dents like you see in this thread disappear with little or no filler at all. Im not there, but I do have a lot of respect for those who have the skill. There are a few videos on Youtube you can scour. It would take a long time to answer your questions and I would probably botch a few of them. Hopefully some of the pros here will chime in. In the mean time, here is a good video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt07pLebQwQ
Old 01-09-2015, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Great video Kemo. Thanks for sharing.

This seems like a very different approach than drilling holes and pulling with the slide hammer.
Old 01-10-2015, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

willtel,

Impressive work on the dent!

Tom
Old 01-10-2015, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
Can someone explain the main steps to using these so called hammer and dolly?
You just hammer from the inside, and use the dolly blocks to shape the fender?

Then you will have a rippled fender.

Then you just grind it down smooth?
The shrinking disk gets rid of the ripples?

Sorry this isn't a skill that can be taught on a forum.

you need to get the tools, Good tools not junk from harbor freight.
Then get some old fenders from the junk yard and get to practicing.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by willtel View Post
IMG_2928 by willtel, on Flickr
Nice work WILL.

Current: '80 Silver Targa w /'85 3.2, '79 Anthracite 930
Prior: '74 Carrera. '79 Silver 930. '79 Black 930.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

It is getting close now. I picked up a slapping spoon and it is starting to come together. I still have a few little low spots to bring up.

IMG_2941 by willtel, on Flickr

IMG_2934 by willtel, on Flickr

IMG_2933 by willtel, on Flickr

IMG_2940 by willtel, on Flickr
Old 02-14-2015, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Left us hanging!
Where's the final product ?
Old 08-24-2018, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Jon Bingham

Send a message via Skype™ to TheMetalSurgeon
now you can use a shrinking disc to blend and 'flow' the light line.Dont lean too hard into the panel ,light pressure and keep moving over the panel.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: