Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/paint-bodywork-detailing-forum/)
-   -   Go Original? (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/paint-bodywork-detailing-forum/836461-go-original.html)

911TerryT 10-30-2014 12:18 PM

Go Original?

I am restoring a 70 911 T and have 2 decisions to make. Color and interior. COA has the exterior as a paint to sample #98. Porsche could not tell me what the color was...I posted the question and someone responded and said 98 tracks to Blue....doesn't guarantee it was a blue but that's the best I have. The interior is currently black but it originally came brown. My question is, change back to brown interior and stay in the blue for colors? I guess I am in the camp of the more original a car is the more value it has?? I can surely find a blue that goes well with a brown but changing interior is more $ and not sure if worth it in the long run.

I also attached a picture of the dash with some markings...any idea what the markings mean? thanks,
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1414696527.jpg

bgyglfr 10-30-2014 03:16 PM

From my understanding , those numbers should be the vin hand written from the factory.

73T
68L

keith28 10-31-2014 04:18 AM

The numbers hand written with crayon on the top left side of the dash are the same as the numbers that are stamped on the right front of the dash behind the knee roll trim to the right of the ash tray.This number is the factory internal control number during production and is not the same as the VIN.

Schiefer 11-01-2014 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 911TerryT (Post 8331035)
I am restoring a 70 911 T and have 2 decisions to make. Color and interior. COA has the exterior as a paint to sample #98. Porsche could not tell me what the color was...I posted the question and someone responded and said 98 tracks to Blue....doesn't guarantee it was a blue but that's the best I have.

#98 does not point towards blue, it means the first owner picked a personal color. Maybe an earlier Porsche color or maybe paint to sample. My 2,2 is also a #98, and originally painted slate gray. Standard color until 1969MY, but special order on a 70 (and same as you Stuttgart could not tell me what the original color was)

Lots of places you should be able to find trace of the original color on your chassis. Look around and post plenty of pictures. Do you still have the paint tag on the A-pillar??? If you do, the actual color code should be there.

911TerryT 11-01-2014 05:03 AM

Color Codes - Porsche Paint Cross-Reference - page 9 of 24

An earlier reply to my question about #98 paint code referenced this color chart tracking 98 to a blue. The tag on the A Pillar is gone. The previous owner said it was not there when he bought the car and that goes back some years. He also mentioned it wouldn't be the only car without a tag...not common but....not the only one. The car was black on black when I acquired. When disassembling, there looked to be some hints of dark brown. I will try to get some photo's and post.

Lastly, when I applied for the COA Porsche called me to let me know they did not have the Production date, MSRP and transmission number. They also told me #98 Paint to Sample was not traceable to a color. Thanks

Schiefer 11-01-2014 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 911TerryT (Post 8333393)
An earlier reply to my question about #98 paint code referenced this color chart tracking 98 to a blue.

Whoever told you this is wrong. My car has correct 6801 slate gray code on the paint tag. A while ago I helped a friend sell a 70T Targa. Also with a #98 code from Porsche. On the paint tag we found the code of zit gelb, Porsche color discontinued after 69MY. You can also take a look in the factory workshop manuals. It lists #98 as special wish paint. Maybe your car was blue, but then it is a coincidence and nothing to do with this code. But Im pretty sure you will be able to find enough trace of the original color to be able to identify it.

Bummer that the paint tag is gone! If it had been there you could have removed it to find an excellent piece of your original paint.

It is common that the production date and trans numbers are missing on the 70-71 cars, but if your trans is in the correct range (possible to check) it it probably the original.

Even if they say it is not possible to trace code #98 to an actual color, I believe they have more info at the archives it they are willing to dig deeper.

Also take a look at this thread and please list your car here if you succeed in finding the actual color: Special Colors aka 'Paint-to-Sample' . . .

911TerryT 11-04-2014 04:12 PM

Thanks for the info. I found the thread you attached to be very informative and have some pics of some very cool cars. I tried tracking down the original owner but no luck...same for where it was serviced. So I need to decide soon on a color....I see you have a slate gray 70s? I was looking at the 1970 standard colors and did not find slate gray as an option? Love that color. Also still not sure about going back to original interior color of brown...thanks again.