Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Finally got around to redoing S2. I think the issue I had the first time was the fact that I used a cheap acrylic clear. After check with I diy auto center I ordered the very first color Honda YR526M and a urethane clear. It's the morning so there is due on the car. I haven't touched it since paint and clear yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2016, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Looks nice, has a satin look to it. Needs much more clear coat... Hood needs a coat too, doesn't look like it matches...
Old 03-16-2016, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
I only did 1 rattle can of urethane. I'll hit it with another this weekend.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufrob View Post
I only did 1 rattle can of urethane. I'll hit it with another this weekend.

I did the exact same thing on an old 911 15 years ago (when the were cheap...sigh). Volkswagen rattle can silver was a 100% match. But regardless of how many rattle cans I used, I just couldn't get the clear "thick" enough...

Good luck,

Bo
Old 03-17-2016, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Did a bit of hand buffing last night. I forgot how tough urethane is.

Old 03-18-2016, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage

Old 03-18-2016, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage

Old 03-23-2016, 10:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
Think I found a good color match for Guards Red. In Japan, it's red.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Black devil says paint it black. Red devil says paint it red.

Old 05-28-2016, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
I'm so tempted

Old 06-09-2016, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
I got into it. it just flaked off. Looks like there was primer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-2016, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
Looks like the roof panel is the worst. Im using a scraper and the original paint looks pretty strong and good underneath. Any suggestions?
Old 06-15-2016, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Just a Suggestion... from someone that has been doing this for about 13 Years!

Tape off everything you don't want sand blasted... used (rubberized HD TAPE $10 (Yellow 2") / $4 (Yellow 1")... sand blast all the flaking red paint off ... it should come off in layers... (Fine Grain Sand Medium) should not hurt the rubber on the car actually it will help clean it! Very easy and fast if u sand blast at a 45 Deg. angle. Then sand entire body down to the 1st coat of original paint/primer... with 360 grit wet/dry... wet preferable... fix any body damage if present... put on two light coats of gray laq. primer (Heavy Wet) within 30 min. of the 1st coat of primer. Sand down with wet 500 / 600 grit sand paper (do not go through the (2) primer coats any where)... then use Best Name Brand Epoxy Paint any Color u want with matching hardener and thinner! Follow instructions on the application for the Epoxy Paint to the letter... do not deviate
Hum. under 50%... (75-80 Degs F) was the best for me (1 Gal. of paint should give u 3 full coats!!!) Here a few pic's of my success... just a suggestion! Good Luck with that scraper... u will do more damage with that than the sand blast!
Ron...

Old 07-26-2016, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
Looks good RRRacing 1970. Thanks for the considered reply. Actually the paint to the roof section was so poorly done it literally flaked off with even the slightest touch. I got lazy a thought the bits of primer I left wouldn't hurt. Boy was I wrong. The rest of the body looks ok but the roof will need to be stripped again.

Old 07-27-2016, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
In my last years with GE Aircraft Engine Group... I spent 2.5 years off and on training in the Toyota "Shingijutsu" Group - GPS - IE: TPS "Toyota Production Group"... out of 30 of us in training I was the only one they allowed into Toyota City in their Paint Production Area... The USA doesn't have a clue what they do... and how they do it! I trained under Yoshiki-Iwata and he was trained by MR. Ohno himself. Good luck on your project!
Ron....
Old 07-27-2016, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
I live in Tokyo so I doubt our paths may have crossed. The only Ohno I know worked at Porsche Japan. Chief mechanic.

Old 07-27-2016, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: