Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Install: Yellow Bird style rear bumper

I'm considering installing a Yellow Bird style rear bumper on my '81SC.. I did a search and found all kinds of information about vendor issues: quality, ridiculous shipping rates, wait time etc., but found nothing about the installation itself. I plan on doing the install myself, so I don't want any surprises.. Unfortunately, there are no local body shops that I would trust anyway.. I'm considering TRE's 8.89.130 bumper.. TIA for any help, guidance, suggestions etc. anyone could provide..
Posted this on the technical side.. Maybe I'll get more responses here..
66 Galaxy 500 Ragtop (my Mother bought it new)
88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Old 05-11-2015, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

I have install 11 Ruf reproduction bumpers and two Ruf bumpers .
3 of the reproduction ones did not have any mounting brackets of any other way of mounting the bumpers they were just a shell .so we had to make our own mounting brackets and mold them into the bumpers .
others reproduction bumpers did come with mounting brackets molded into the bumpers but one had them in the wrong place and another bumper once kind of mounted on the car the bumper had a bigger gap to the QTR on one side then the other and no up and down adjustments .so we had to cut off the mounts and mold them in the right place .

the Ruf bumpers we did on the RUF built cars are of very high quality and mounted as you would except they would . the cost of the bumpers was 3 times that of the best reproduction ones and the wait time was about 5 months for us to get them .
we would not install a non Ruf part on a Ruf Porsche so we had to wait for the bumper .

if your thinking of doing the job your self you will have to know how to do FG work and fabrication .
on some of the reproductions we have to pie cut the ends to move them in to get the bumper so the ends did not stick out .
one bumper the gelcoating was delaminating .
another bumper the gelcoat much have pulled of when they popped it out of the mold as they had body filler on the bumper and then sprayed more gelcoat over it .
others we had to fabricate brackets .
in one case we got a bumper that the quality was so bad we sent it back . after waiting 7 weeks the replacement one we got was even worse then the one we sent back.

in every case the 500 dollar bumpers once it was finely fit to the car cost the car owners as much as if they just spent the money on the real Ruf part .

one thing about composite panels are they will all take some work .
it's one thing if your a kid with a Honda but if your looking for Porsche quality to do the car justice then your going to be spending time screwing around to get it to look like some thing .
Old 05-12-2015, 04:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
petercory

Garage
I installed one of the 930 Ruf front bumpers on my car (complete with Vin Serialized Tag molded in to the pass side). I had to cut out and modify all of the parking light mounting brackets so that the lights sit perfectly flush with the surface of the bumper, additionally, the center section that bolts to the front of the tub had to be cut off and re-fit so that the bumper mounting flange sat perfectly flat against the body without exerting any pressure on the center of the bumper.

The rear bumper required some pie cuts as 962 Porsche mentioned to get the corners to sit flat and the brackets from the engine bay to the lower front corners of the bumper had to be re-made so that they aligned properly with the bottom of the bumper.

In large part, the amount of work required is dependant upon the degree of fit and finish that you are looking for.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Sorry for the slow reply.. Kidney stones had me down for a bit.... I appreciate very much your input, guys!!! I probably will reconsider since it sounds like I could get 'in over my head' quickly.. Too bad 962 Porsche is 1000 miles away. There's no one here locally that I can trust to do the job properly...
Many thanks!!
66 Galaxy 500 Ragtop (my Mother bought it new)
88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Old 06-06-2015, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Old thread but good information, I was contemplating this bumper but I think the concerns will out weight the cool bumper
Old 02-09-2016, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: