Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

How Do You Repair This?

i posted a question whether this deck lid repair could be done a few years ago when I was doing disassembly, but now I need to know how it is done. This is all the result of the PO backing into something years ago and I need to get the deck lid straightened to line up the other repairs where the bumper pushed into the rear support.

I could see how to do it if the support on the back wasn't in the way, but is the right way to go about this to separate the skill from the support and straighten the separately? Is there another way? If They need to be separated is there any trick to getting them apart without making a bigger mess?

I've. Done some searching, but haven't really found anything. Any help or info on other posts would be appreciated.
Tim
'06 Mini Cooper S

Restoring Jewel's 911e
Old 06-20-2015, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Find an old school metal man
Old 06-21-2015, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

it could be fixed but there is no good reason to do so .
the 911E's are far from a rare car so spending time on that deck lid is pointless !
you can find a used one or even buy a new one for the car .
not for nothing but I have thrown away better panels then that .
Old 06-21-2015, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

That's disappointing. I guess I'll do some shopping for a replacement. Unfortunately 69s have a unique deck lid that I'm presuming are difficult to find and not cheap. I'd rather keep it correct if possible ((I'd presume pretty much any deck lid at least through the SCs would fit though, right?)

Though a 69e may not be that rare, it still looks to be worth what to me is a healthy sum- if I ever get it finished. The value of all the early cars has gone up substantially since I started on it. Which is both a blessing and a curse- I hadn't expected to need to worry about negatively impacting its value with my repairs when I started.

That being said- how would I go about trying to fix this one? If we're just counting my time there's lots of other places I've gone down the wrong side of the cost/benefit trade, but I've learned a bunch on the way. I'm sure there are several things I've done over the past several years repairing rust and getting to this point haven't been the most efficient way to go at it.
Thanks,
Tim
'06 Mini Cooper S

Restoring Jewel's 911e
Old 06-22-2015, 04:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

If the two pieces were separated, they would be pretty easy to straighten out. You would have to cut the ends of the inner piece, and weld it back in later. Both pieces would be easy to work if you could work them from either side.

However, I have all kinds of heavy metal objects with curves that I can slide into the back of a crease while I tap around it from the outside. The trick is to slowly and methodically work things back into shape without creating more dents by hammering too hard or trying to smash it all out with a few blows. Back it from the inside, and work around the outside of the crease, or lay the face on a bag of concrete or sand, and hammer from the inside, if you can figure out how to get the force where you want it on the inside.

Alternatively, you could go get a stud welder at Harbor freight, and weld some studs into the creases of both pieces to start working them out. You can pull on the studs with a slide hammer, or you can hold onto the slide hammer, and tap around the stud. Again, the trick is to put in a few studs, and gradually work the dent out in an all over fashion, not moving the metal too much in any one place.

I would be willing to bet that Eastwood would have U tube videos on using body tools, and working dents, as well as shrinking metal, which you might do when you are close to shape.

This is a good project to practice on, although it is a pretty advanced bit of metal working. Don't get carried away, and if you get stymied, stop and take a break. You really have nothing to lose here.

Conversely, you could call a paintless dent guy. They will tell you yea or nay PDQ. I only have moderate skills myself. I could get the outside of that pretty easily, but without separating the pieces, the inside might be compromised.

Last edited by DanielDudley; 06-23-2015 at 06:07 PM..
Old 06-23-2015, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

the problem is the framing is crushed I and I'm sure has a little twist to it .
a stud gun will get you only so far ! one problem is it bent were the skin folds over the frame .
a stud will not hold strong enough to pull the skin and the frame . you weld the stud to the skin and as you pull the skin will pull away from the framing .

I would just find another lid for the car .
I'm sure you will have to still do some metal work to get another lid to fit !
Old 06-23-2015, 09:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Occasional User

Looks like there is one for sale here now - no affiliation

Rare 68-69 decklid
2009 Cayman S White, Full Cocoa - sold
1972 911E Silver Coupe, Pepita & Black - sold
Old 06-24-2015, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

the lids are out there you just have to look for them .
you could also buy them aftermarket or new from Porsche .
the last one I bought (about two years ago)we got from Porsche it was about 1100 dollars and took them 5 weeks to get it to me from Germany .
Old 06-24-2015, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I have a line on a couple of deck lids from a wtb post on the used parts forum. Not cheap, but probably still cheaper that trying to pay someone who actually knows what they're doing to fix it.

Daniel- I do have a stud gun I bought to try to attack a couple of pushed in spots, but I've got to agree with 962 on this one. From the experimenting I've done with the stud gun there's no way it would pull those wrinkles out. The spot I was primarily working with the studs is the rear lateral support where the bumperette was pushed into the deck lid, the rear valence and the rear support whenever the PO backed into whatever they hit.

Even after cutting lose the back end of the fender/taillight support I didn't have lots of success pulling everything back out (and I added several more studs than the picture shows). In this case I ended up taking a big chunk out that I'll fab a patch for after I got it a little closer with the studs.

I may practice on the wrinkled deck lid or use it as a sheetmetal donor (or hang it on the wall as someone suggested), but I'm resigned to buying a replacement.
Thanks for the suggestions though
Tim
'06 Mini Cooper S

Restoring Jewel's 911e
Old 06-24-2015, 08:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: