Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
1977 Jaguar XJ12 paint type

I need to paint the rear lower gas tank body panels on this car and a few crusty spots in the engine bay.

Color is Old English White and I plan to use Glasurit 22 Line.

Called the BASF jobber today and he said Glasurit was original but was not sure if it was single stage urethane with hardener or straight enamel.

Does anyone know the original paint type? More for info purposes than the job requirement.

Thanks.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

back in the 70's it was enamel not really sure what your saying about straight enamel ?
Old 10-14-2015, 03:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
I always thought that urethane was a type of enamel that you can mix a 2nd part with.

When I say straight enamel, I am thinking this means a non-urethane enamel without hardener.

Got a feeling I am going to learn something shortly.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

maybe lets see .
how with all automotive urethanes you need a hardener / catalyst to have it harden .

now with enamels not so this is why you will find enamels in spray can form .
the 3 basic forms of automotive grade enamels are .
alkyd , acrylic and urethane enamels .
alkyd is the lowest grade offered with urethane being the best grade .
the old Porsche,benz ,audi/vw , BMW's used urethane enamel as it was more cutting edge for the time just as now they were the 1st to go with waterborne base colors .
you will not find a straight enamel they will have a base component being one of the 3 I stated .

all auto makers used a hardener in there enamels no matter what one they used .
they did this for a couple of reasons the 1st is with out a hardener the dry times are way to long for any type of production .
the next reason they used a hardener is longevity for the finish with out a hardener the finish would fail in a couple of years at the most .
hardeners lock the links together giving the finish a longer life span .

with your Jag they used acrylic enamel with a hardener .
Old 10-14-2015, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Wonderful information. I think I had a rough shape of things but clarity was missing.

I am pretty sure, now that I think of it, I used Martin Senour acrylic with hardener in the 70's from NAPA. Also used it without hardener on cheaper jobs. Bummer was if you had a screw up, wet sanding was not an option.

Thanks so much for this and your contribution.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: