Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
dkbautosports.com

don't do it

3 years ago this person came to me and asked if I could just clear over the finish that was dying on the top of the Van . he would buff a shin back into the finish and in a short time it would die back and lose it's shin again .
he didn't want to have me sand prime and buy a new decal kit as it would cost to much . I told him it would be the only way I would do the job as if I just sanded it and cleared over the dying finish it would not last more then a few years .
he took it to another shop and from what he said it would fix the dying paint problem and last for many years .
so 3 years later he comes back to me thinking I will do the job for what I wrote the estimate for 3 years ago . I told him NO !
now because of what was done the roof needs to be stripped . the finish is now checking and the clear that was sprayed over dying paint is pealing off .

once the finish starts dying you can not save it in any way shape of form !
the more you just keep buffing it back up to a shin the faster the finish dies back .
if you just spray clear over the finish it's not going to slow or stop it from dying all it does is cost you much more a few years later .

Old 10-20-2015, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Timely post 962.

I have a '98 Dodge 2500 truck that has peeling clear coat on the roof & hood - not sure if it's original paint or a respray that was done at some point in the truck's past. I was thinking, "oh, maybe I could just sand down the peeling clear coat a little & have it re-cleared." It's not a beauty queen truck so I don't care if it's not perfect etc...

Sounds like that's not a great idea though!

Alternatively, I was think of sanding down the peeling clear & doing a vinyl wrap - something that'd spruce it up for a few years at least w/out huge $$ expense...

In reality, I should probably just bit the bullet & have it painted for real...

Thanks for the post.

Tom
Old 10-20-2015, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

same year as this Van . this roof is in single stage as it's a conversion van I think the rest is Base Clear ?
if the OE finish is delaminating you may not have to strip it down to bare metal .
you maybe able to just strip off the clear with 80 grit on a DA and the go over it with 180 then 3 coats of primer .

this van sadly could have been a quick easy job but now it's a mess and will cost much more to make right . the rest of the van is in very good shape so being the roof looks like hell it really should be done .
Old 10-20-2015, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Whats with all of these newer cars and flaking clear coat? My cousin in law owns 2 dodge durangos, from new, and the clear coat is shot and peeling like crazy...

Yet, some cars are 20 years old and look great...
Old 10-23-2015, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I suspect that water-based paint is the problem.....
1971 914-6 #0372
2016 Audi S3 DD
Old 10-24-2015, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

the water borne base coat is not the problem .
as the base components are still the same .
solvent or water is just in the products to make them sprayable .
the change to water is to comply with VOC rules .

one big reason why clears delaminate is because of the mill thickness of the OE top coats .
it has become so thin as spraying technology keeps increasing there really is not enough to have a finish last more then 8 to 10 years .
you would think the auto makers would apply more clear but cars today they do not want to last more then the 8 to 10 years as if they did you would not go buy a new car in creasing there sales .
20 years ago auto makers would apply about 1.9 to 2.1 Mils of top coat now they are down to .9 to 1.1 Mils .
this also does one other thing and it getting more cars painted with the same amount of product .
if you own a new car open the hood and look around the engine compartment .you will see it's not the same finish as the out side of the car . in fact its a colored sealer to match or be close to a match of the exterior finish . this also save the auto makers on coating cost .
with applying as little top coats to the out side and not applying any to the jams / under hood panels they can now paint 10 cars to painting one of days of old .
Old 10-24-2015, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 962porsche View Post
one big reason why clears delaminate is because of the mill thickness of the OE top coats .
What was the deal with the back half of the 1980's GM cars?

I remember stripping my sister's base coat off with a single edged razor blade in a little holder tool. Used windex as a lube.

The clear was mottled and absent in spots. Looked parched, don't know if it was thin,

The base coat on these cars would delaminate in strips. Like, the wind took it off.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

that was the sealer and top coats were not compatible with one another .
the 1st gen NA's mazda miatas with their whites also had the same problems .
Old 10-27-2015, 04:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: