Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
dkbautosports.com

1st is wire size to metal gage your welding .
.023 to .025 you would want for sheet metal you find on a cars body .
for some thing like rockers and heaver gage .025 to .030 wire .
flux core is good for out doors welding when a gas will blow away in the wind .
so say it's better if you also have to deal with some rusted areas this is BS !
you have to adjust your gas to the gage and wire your welding .
for a sheet metal panel 12 to 15LBS is best for thicker gages like rockers 15 to 18 LBS is what your setting would be . for plate 18 to 20 lbs .
wire speed and heat range for welder is some thing you will have to play with and learn .
the 4 migs I have in my shop are all different two are 110's and two are 220's none of them are setup the same .
you can use a argon co2 mix or a straight argon we only use straight argon for one of the 220 welders the other 3 use a mix .
when it comes to flux core wire there is nothing wrong with using it but you have to be dam sure you clean the weld real good after your finished welding .
when it comes to the duty cycle of your welder this is one thing to do not want to over use . it over heats the welder and will also make for bad welds . one reason is the heat build up in the welding wire sleeve not only the over heating the welder it's self .
as the heat travels up the sleeve the wire runs thru the wire will start to run thru the sleeve slower . this makes you want to turn the speed up more to compensate for the wire feeding slower . you stop for a few minutes and then start again welding and your welds start looking like crap . just as you have to let the panel cool to not have the thing warp you also have to let the welder run at a cool temp also .
Old 11-23-2015, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Not to complicate things but this is what I'm switching to weld sheet metal.

http://mam.esab.com/assets/1/BDBA5CC688D14EBE822C00D265DF8E7D/doc/19FCEFDE56DC4A74B4FF815160D82234/9492-en_US-FactSheet_Main-01.pdf

Supposedly it creates a weld that isn't quite so brittle, easier to grind and hammer/weld. The Hobart .025 I've been using is real hard and brittle.
77 Carrera RS w/3.2 #59
73 914S 2.0 AG
73 914 1.7 Driver ( daily driver, under complete rustoration )
74 914 2.0, 71 914 Tub, 74 914 2.0 Tub + 73 914 donor

Last edited by cary; 11-27-2015 at 06:21 PM..
Old 11-27-2015, 06:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

any mig weld is a harder weld then say a tig weld .
if your welding a long seam like installing flares on a 911 tig is a better way to go . tig being a softer movable weld if you do get distortion from welding you can easily move the metal around to hammer and dolly it back into shape not so with a mig welded seam .
you can hammer and dolly a miged seam but it's a lot harder to do and when you do you do have to be careful not to damage the welded seam .
many welders have a chart with them to guide you in what heat range wire speed and other settings you would do for a starting point .
Old 11-28-2015, 05:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 962porsche View Post
tig being a softer movable weld if you do get distortion from welding you can easily move the metal around to hammer and dolly it back into shape not so with a mig welded seam .
Watched a few tig weld vids and also tig using filler rod. Wow.

On the lighter side, 962, do the guys at your shop run into any of these kind of interruptions? I'm still waiting...........

Old 01-18-2016, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Garage
Never had that happen in my shop!!!! should I put up a WELDING sign and see if some "help" like that shows up
?
??

When I did lots of work to my 1973 911 the Mig welding technique my expert restoration friend Steve Higginson used was more like tack welding. He built some custom patches and tacked them in and then use small tack welds to make a continuous weld.

We used a 110 volt Lincoln 135 and it worked well.

Since then I have done the same thing with sheet metal on other body work. My point is don't think in terms of laying a long bead with MIG in sheet metal on a car body. You don't want to warp things or burn through. That is the beauty of MIG. With tacks you can control the heat.

By the way I have a couple of Lincoln masks and then I bought a Harbor Freight one. The $50.00 HFT mask is faster and more adjustable. I like the Lincoln quality, but the HFT is better in this case.
RGruppe #79 '73 Carrera RS spec 2.7 MFI
00 Saab 95 Aero wagon stick
01 Saab 95 Aero wagon auto
03 Boxster
90 Chevy PU Prerunner....1990

Last edited by dicklague; 02-14-2016 at 09:23 PM..
Old 02-14-2016, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

The only thing funny that happend to me was a pretty thing came into the shop wearing a mini skirt and i was laying on a creaper and you could see right up her skirt .
I looked up at her and said here looking up your address .took her a minute to get what i was saying before she jumped back and turned red .

As for running a continues weld .that is a big no no .
You put one tack down move to the other side of the patch and put another tack weld .
Always let the weld cool back down before the next weld .
Old 02-14-2016, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: