Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

944 front balance

Hi guys
Im hoping you guys can guide me in the correct way to prep and hopefully paint a front balance for my 944, the car's color is Alpine white and the replacement part I got is brown.
I paint homes and buildings for a living so I own a HVLP kit but have never done auto paint
TIA
Leonel
Old 01-19-2016, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

No, advice/tips/guidance?
Old 01-19-2016, 09:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Assuming you are speaking of the front valance?

Pan between the headlights and then wraps under the headlights in front. Not sure it is officially called the valance, but that is what comes to mind.

Do you have the old one off?

I can help you and as soon as we begin discussion others will kick in.

Can you post a picture of the paint on the brown part? The condition of that paint will drive the procedure.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Occasional User

I am subscribed - I am thinking about buying a Fuji HVLP to paint my car.
2009 Cayman S White, Full Cocoa - sold
1972 911E Silver Coupe, Pepita & Black - sold
Old 01-22-2016, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

944's do not have valance panels it would be a spoiler under the bumper .
a valance panel is the panel under the bumpers of cars . above the bumper is a header panel .
or it's the bumper also known as a fascia if it's a big bumper 944 like on the later ones.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 962porsche View Post
944's do not have valance panels it would be a spoiler under the bumper .
a valance panel is the panel under the bumpers of cars . above the bumper is a header panel .
or it's the bumper also known as a fascia if it's a big bumper 944 like on the later ones.
Thanks for the info.

Any clue on what a balance is?
Old 01-22-2016, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

dkbautosports.com

I have no idea ????????????????????????????????????????????
the 944 owners tend to call things by totally the wrong names .
like bat wing ?????
I needed a lower center splash shield/under tray for a 944 once I had a kid that was working for me ( he was into 944's)call Porsche to order one . he asked the parts guy at Porsche for a bat wing and the parts guy had no idea at all what in the hell it was . needless to say I had to get on the phone and order the splash shield .
Old 01-23-2016, 04:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
like bat wing ?????
I needed a lower center splash shield/under tray for a 944 once I had a kid that was working for me ( he was into 944's)call Porsche to order one . he asked the parts guy at Porsche for a bat wing and the parts guy had no idea at all what in the hell it was . needless to say I had to get on the phone and order the splash shield .
You may remember helping me on that 86 951 several years ago. The Bat Wing. I remember it well. The rear most section under the engine was AWOL but it still took a good deal of time to get that guard to fit in with proper fasteners.

I wonder why they did not carry the 924 Turbo "facia" with the ports into the 951.

Old 01-23-2016, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
More Boost!

Quote:
like bat wing ?????
The kid should have asked for Robbin instead, he would have known what the "bat wing" was. lol
Old 01-23-2016, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I'm referring to the "spoiler" as 962porsche calls it, the replacement part I found is brown in real but the car is Alpine white, I'll post a picture of the replacement part as soon as figure out how to post a picture here.
TIA
Old 01-24-2016, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Look underneath the "box" where you post a comment. See "Go Advanced"? Click on that. When that page pops up nothing has changed, even if you have already loaded in text except for more functions..........Click the link that says "Click here to upload a photo"

Click on Browse and find the image on your computer and then click Upload Now.

A string will be placed in your post that contains the picture.
Old 01-24-2016, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

number 6 SPOILER

as for posting crap that is ez .
click on post reply
a new window opens .
then click on click here to up load photos.
click on browse . this will take you to your photos and other documents .
click on your photo you wish to post then click open . it will go back to the screen that popped up before then click on upload . it will take a minute to up load .
when it's finished up loading it will return to the posting page . you will see just a script and no photo at this time .you can write a little some thing if you would like or just click on post/submit reply and it will do so .
Old 01-25-2016, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

here we go, the car and replacement spoiler are a little dirty but you get the idea

Last edited by Leonel; 01-26-2016 at 10:14 PM..
Old 01-26-2016, 10:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

the are easy to paint .
how ever most of the time for a part like that it's best to just have a shop refinish it .
most of the time we only charge a customer a couple of hundred bucks to paint a spoiler .
I just did one for a customer a few weeks ago gold color for 220 bucks cash . that being white single stage your looking at 175 dollars if there is nothing to repair on it .

if that came into my shop we would 1st color match it to the cars color using the BASF's color max system color chips .
then we would wash the part with hot soap and water and let dry .
then wet sand it with 400 or 500 grit then go over it again with sand fix and a grey sanding pad .
wash it again with hot water and soap .
let dry and then mix up some very light grey sealer and spray one medium coat over the spoiler let it flash off for 15 to 20 minutes and then spray 3 coats of the proper white color in single stage .
quick and easy job .

as for you doing it your self and with proper materials you will spend the 150 dollars easy in just the materials as I'm guessing you do not have a mixing system . then you have to deal with color matching . you have the paint code in the car but you have to deal with color variances . this is why shops like mine use the BASF color max tools to match colors . color max are real spray out done by BASF (the paint they use to paint your car) so what you see with the color chip is the color you will get when you mix it and spray the part or car . color cameras are not as good the are at best 70% accurate .
Old 01-27-2016, 04:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Thank you!
I will do follow your advice
Old 01-27-2016, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: