Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Original undercarriage/wheel well color on 930?

I'm sure this in in here someplace...but what is the original factory color of the wheel well/undercarriage of an 87 930? Thanks. Jim

Old 01-25-2016, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

they are not painted just body color over spray and the OE beige chip guard color is all there is and should be .
Old 01-27-2016, 04:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thank you...
Old 01-27-2016, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
On my 81 regular 911, the front inner wheel wells have a decent amount of paint on the box the fenders hang on. Under the car and the rear wheel wells have a dusting of red. Underbody has the least red. Sort of a whitish primer underneath the red.

Am I totally certain the front wheel wells are original? Nope. But I believe they are.

962 is gospel. I am just talking, but you can take his info to the bank.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 962porsche View Post
and the OE beige chip guard color is all there is and should be .
Bet this is the whitish color I mention.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

962 - is this the case for a 76 as well.

Thanks,

Phil
Old 01-31-2016, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

jchamness

Garage
Almost all of the cars I've seen, owned or worked on (hundreds?) have 90%+ painted wheel wells- that goes for all models. The bottoms were a crapshoot, varying degrees of over spray, none were fully painted. It seems that solid color cars had more paint on them, mostly due to better coverage I guess. My 930 is original and the wheel wells are pretty much fully painted.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Any black under coating?

Thanks,

Phil
Old 02-01-2016, 06:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

yes you will find paint in the wheel houses /wheel well to a point they are not sprayed as the outer body is it's just over spray .
over time you will see the color were off as its just over spray . this will make it look different from car to car .
then just what part of the wheel house are you talking about ? the part on the body the color will have more coverage then on say the back sides of the fenders and QTR's .
but again they never sprayed color for coverage it's just over spray and what ended up there ended up there . same for the under sides of the chassis .

non of the wheel house should have black under coating on them at all .
the black rubberized undercoating is a crap product and does nothing at all . offers no stone protection offers not rust protection nothing !

Last edited by 962porsche; 02-01-2016 at 10:50 AM..
Old 02-01-2016, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Thanks- my car has been totally stripped and is fully disassembled - beige chip guard applied with paint over that, maybe not 100 % correct but seems unavoidable on a restored car.

Jim My apologies did not intend to take over your thread.

Phil
Old 02-01-2016, 08:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I emailed John Paterek describing to him the black wheel wells on my white 87 930. His response to me was most light colored 930s had a flat black paint sprayed in the wheel wells at the factory. Apparently the paint was only applied to the wheel wells. I hope I am parphrasing John accurately. Please take this for what it is worth and don't bother John. Thanks, jim
Old 02-12-2016, 05:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 962porsche View Post
yes you will find paint in the wheel houses /wheel well to a point they are not sprayed as the outer body is it's just over spray .
over time you will see the color were off as its just over spray . this will make it look different from car to car .
then just what part of the wheel house are you talking about ? the part on the body the color will have more coverage then on say the back sides of the fenders and QTR's .
but again they never sprayed color for coverage it's just over spray and what ended up there ended up there . same for the under sides of the chassis .

non of the wheel house should have black under coating on them at all .
the black rubberized undercoating is a crap product and does nothing at all . offers no stone protection offers not rust protection nothing !
Quote:
Originally Posted by pu911 View Post
Thanks- my car has been totally stripped and is fully disassembled - beige chip guard applied with paint over that, maybe not 100 % correct but seems unavoidable on a restored car.

Jim My apologies did not intend to take over your thread.

Phil
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim tulloch View Post
I emailed John Paterek describing to him the black wheel wells on my white 87 930. His response to me was most light colored 930s had a flat black paint sprayed in the wheel wells at the factory. Apparently the paint was only applied to the wheel wells. I hope I am parphrasing John accurately. Please take this for what it is worth and don't bother John. Thanks, jim
I have gone back and forth on this issue with someone on another thread who wanted emphatically to tell me that all 930's had black sprayed in the wheel wells from the factory. I was in total disagreement with them until I noticed a few that had such, and I would now agree that some may have, but surely not all.

Having owned numerous 911's, and worked on even more from my days in the industry, I would agree with 962 in that color in the wheel wells is more or less over spray, with some having more color than others.. personally, I prefer color on the wheel wells.
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 02-14-2016, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
930 Black Painted Wheel Wells

Likely the most definitive written answer on the subject is the one found in the PCA Technical Q&A's, 9/2/2006, by John Paterek.

"Many 911 turbos and wide body cars have a satin black finish sprayed over the body color wheelwell area...The only cars we have found not to be coated are black and metallic black finishes".

As these cars age, and more and more are restored, we may anticipate seeing questions like this repeating, hope this helps to clarify the black wheel well issue.

PCA members can read JP's full response at;
https://www.pca.org/tech/wheel-wells

Last edited by porche; 03-05-2016 at 07:34 PM..
Old 03-05-2016, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: