Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
help me with my project

I have a 1979 SC coupe- I am backdating the car -
So far so good with flares- but I have two issues.
One is Id like to put in rear vents that open - I have a set of early vents but they are just a bit long and I will have to fit the hinge mounts at the pillars.

The second is the car came with heavy electric doors-I would like to make them with out the electrics - can I fit a normal regulator in? Is it hard to do? Will the electric ones work with out the electric lift?
Also of course want to use front swing out vents at doors Any one taken the 79 frames off and fitted the early frames?

I am in a 12 step program and expect that I will get rid of my addiction to this sort of nonsense ... well one can hope
Thank you in advance for your input

Old 03-07-2016, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Can't help you with rear windows but you can replace the regulators with manual wind ups. Probably find a pair here on the forum and yes you can replace front vent windows with older ones. Depends on who you ask as far as difficulty, they're not that difficult to work on and there's plenty of posts on the tech forum to guide you also a little section in Bentely manual on removing windows and other door parts. Good luck with your project looks like a solid car.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Good looking project! I'm building my SC now also and i'm in Bloomfield Twp.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
PhD on Pending Projects

Garage
Send a message via AIM to wachuko Send a message via Yahoo to wachuko
On the electrical vs manual... I have read that they weight about the same and it is not worth changing them...

Cool project. Subscribed.

1967 - Porsche 912
1981 - Porsche 911 SC
1991 - Porsche 911 C4 Wide-body Cabriolet
Old 04-01-2016, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks on the doors note I am a ludite. I like old stuff so the electrical doors are not "hot rod race" for me. I was thinking pulls but not sure who well they will stand the vibration and stay up
Old 04-02-2016, 06:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
next choice

ok guys- do I use alum hood and deck lid or carbon ?
The alloy deck lid can have some very nice louvers -
price is close enough I could go either way.
One other note from the build is the fenders I bought were from the only company making repops and the right fender is not a good fit- when I called the supplier he said I could send it back but cost to ship was not good- so I am working to try to fix the lousy fit - it is 1/2 inch from the door post like it is warped. I think if I were doing it again I would get a NOS fender, I was going to do that but after a 3 month wait none came up.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

PhD on Pending Projects

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpsurfr View Post
Thanks on the doors note I am a ludite. I like old stuff so the electrical doors are not "hot rod race" for me. I was thinking pulls but not sure who well they will stand the vibration and stay up
And that is cool, just don't do it thinking you will be saving weight... but I can understand the cool factor of going back to manual everything.

1967 - Porsche 912
1981 - Porsche 911 SC
Old 04-02-2016, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
PhD on Pending Projects

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpsurfr View Post
ok guys- do I use alum hood and deck lid or carbon ?
The alloy deck lid can have some very nice louvers -
price is close enough I could go either way.
One other note from the build is the fenders I bought were from the only company making repops and the right fender is not a good fit- when I called the supplier he said I could send it back but cost to ship was not good- so I am working to try to fix the lousy fit - it is 1/2 inch from the door post like it is warped. I think if I were doing it again I would get a NOS fender, I was going to do that but after a 3 month wait none came up.
Allow engine lid with louvers is a great conversation piece. But really, it is your car, go with what YOU want in it. You will be looking at it every day. What would make you look and say "yeah! that looks awesome!", and go with that

On the fenders, are those steel or fiberglass? Care to share the vendor used? Where those the right ones for the year you are building? Could it be that you got earlier versions instead of the later ones? 67 and 70 fenders are not the same...

1967 - Porsche 912
1981 - Porsche 911 SC
Old 04-02-2016, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Looks like a fun project! If you need a good technical resource as you continue to work on it feel free to utilize our 911 tech articles HERE. Keep it up!
Old 04-20-2016, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: