Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Enamel or urethane paint for a track car?

I am going with a Maaco paint job to keep costs down. Not knowing anything about car paint, should I spend the extra $200 on urethane paint? Would enamel be fine? Any advice is welcome.

Old 04-01-2016, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

going to macco your not doubt going to get totally screwed enough no need to add to it by going with there so called urethane
Old 04-02-2016, 05:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Macco painted my first rally car with their $300 ambasodor paint service. I removed all the junk I didn't want painted and overall the spray out was fine. Interestingly enough, the paint was always off gassing. A year after that car was painted, it still smelled like a body shop. Also, any gasoline spilled during fill up would render the paint tacky. After I totaled that car by hitting a tree at 65, I built a new car and had it shot with Omni single stage and looked great and seemed to last.
Old 04-03-2016, 04:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

macco's paint system is enamel based kind of like the BASF limco 2 and 3 line you change the binder when you mix it and change it from a enamel to a urethane all the color tints are the same but the binders are different .

40 years ago back when i was in school i was a painter at a macco .
spraying and laying down a job that looks good is one thing but that is all the customer sees .
the top coat and not what is under the top coat is what makes a paint job hold up and last.
at a place like macco when all the painter does all day day after day is lay down color you better get good at it . after all it's all your doing they have preppers prepping the cars for paint .
the preppers made minimum wage so they have no skill level or cared about doing a good job .
macco offers different levels of the finish . this is done by adding things like hardener into the paint or not . i have stated many times in the past how i hate spray can products and non hardened products . you can spray enamels with out hardeners they dry and are ok at best but if a solvent gets on it it will do funny things . this is because it's called reversible it wants to turn back to a liquid state . a hardener is what bonds the links together .
the macco i worked it i was told not to add the hardener into the mix even for the upper class jobs that the customers were paying for it . this is not to say all maccos are going to screw you but i was told the customer will never know if i add it or not and it adds another 20% to the materials cost .
it was also like this when it came to using sealer and flex additives .
shops like that are what give all shops a bad name .

macco gave me a 30 minute cycle time thru the booth that is a car come into the booth and you have 30 minutes and no more to get that car out of the booth and into the baking oven for it's 30 minute bake time at 120 degrees .
people say all the time they (the owner) prepper there own car and had macco spray it i could list all the bad things that can and do happen when you do not give a finish proper flash times but the list with be to long to write .
so your still not getting a good long lasting job .
Old 04-03-2016, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Those are great tips. Thanks. I may forego paint and save up for a better quality job down the road.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

you could maybe find a guy that does side work in his garage .
there are people like my self that are retired or semi retired that will do side work at good prices just to keep busy others do it at night after there day job for some extra money .
most of the time taking the car to a guy like this is a better bet them going to any macco .
i just finished last evening a guys E30 spec race car up dated the safety equipment and repainted the hole car for the guy at what i think was a dam good price . 5K
i fixed the hood and replaced the right fender then prepped and painted the hole car . for safety i did nascar door bars, new halo racing seat with seat back brace ,new belts, new inside and door nets with new roll bar padding .

Old 04-06-2016, 05:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: