Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Airbrushes

Hi folks. My experience with auto painting is limited to rattle cans. They work well enough for parts that aren't real visible, but I wonder if an airbrush would give a smoother, more even finish. I'm not going to do any fine detailing, but I do want the parts I paint to look nice.

Will an airbrush give me better results?

Where do you buy suitable paint to use in an airbrush? I don't need much. A pint would be plenty?

Are the levels of gloss built into the paint, or are they sprayed on top?

Thanks for any information you can provide a complete newbie.

Steve
Old 04-04-2016, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

If I remember correctly 962porsche is very good at airbrushing. Maybe he'll chime in.

78 911sc Targa
70 911T
Old 04-04-2016, 08:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

yes i have been airbrushing sense the age of 8 so it's about 40 plus years now and no airbrushes do not work all to good for trying to do detail paint work on your car . it's not what a airbrush is made for you want to use a detail , touch up or mini gun .
the reason why a airbrush is not the best is it will give no mil build to the product your spraying .
i say all the time more material is not a good thing but the same can be said for to little mil build .

when using a airbrush your reduction rates are about the same as they are for a full size gun .
that is until you use undercoats that would be primers and sealers they would need to be reduced out a little more . this is not the case with a mini gun all your reductions rates will stay the same .
one reason a mini gun is a better choice .
another reason why a airbrush is not the best choice is when your spraying metallic colors they will not lay down the same with a airbrush .
Old 04-05-2016, 04:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks 962porsche. Would you mind posting a couple of links or something to show the kind of sprayers you recommend?

Steve
Old 04-05-2016, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

you can google mini touchup spray gun
guns like the ATD - 6903 go for about 30 bucks they work good . you could step up to some like a Sada but they all cost you 3 times the 30 dollar price tag for a ATD gun . i own a few of each the ATD and Sada is the Sada worth 3 times the costs ? yes and no . yes because they are very high quality and you can get replacement parts for them . the ATD guns are more like a bic lighter being the cost of replacement parts will cost almost as much as just buying a gun gun will .
spray quality is about the same .
Old 04-06-2016, 05:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thank you 962porsche. I'll do what you suggest.

Steve
Old 04-07-2016, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Administrator

Hey Steve, if you're still looking we have some spray gun options HERE as well that you can check out.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

pelican selling equipment like spray guns is a very good thing !
there is a good choice of gun options to pick from and the brand is a good one .
Old 04-21-2016, 04:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 962porsche View Post
pelican selling equipment like spray guns is a very good thing !
there is a good choice of gun options to pick from and the brand is a good one .
Appreciate it. We actually just revamped our tools section. We sell a wide range of tools that can be views HERE for anyone in the future.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: