Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

What's the next step up from a Preval Sprayer?

I have had (surprisingly) good luck painting several smaller pieces (front and rear bumper extensions and the rear bumper valance) with a Preval sprayer on my silver metallic 1978 Targa. I plan on getting a professional respray in a few years, but just want to "clean-up" a few of the worst looking offenders for now.

I'm using Transtar 2K epoxy primer/sealer, Limco Supreme Plus with LR12 reducer, and Nason Select Clear with a 2K activator.

Now I want to paint a larger panel (up to a front bumper or even the hood). I have a small compressor but not much else. Would a mini gun such as an ATD 6903 mentioned by 962porsche in another thread be a logical next step up, or is it simply too small to paint a piece that size?

Thanks!

Old 04-10-2016, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

it's to small .
you need a full side gun to paint complete panels .
a mini gun is great for things like jams say things like door jams , engine and trunk jams if you had to paint things like the hole underside of a trunk or engine lid you would use a full size gun .

if you can't get or have a full size compressor for some reason you could look into getting a HVLP turbine automotive spray system . in the long run after you buy all the things you may need to use a full size gum some times it's a lower cost way to go .
it's a full size gun and small compressor all in one spray sytem.
when i was a kid i bought one for doing the clear coating on motorcycle tanks and helmets after i airbrushed them . my system is 35-40 years old now and non HVLP but it works great still and i do use it every so often .

Old 04-10-2016, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: