Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Advice on paint removal on 79 targa

Hi Guys,
I'm looking to get my 79 targa repainted the same very dark metallic green by a paint shop. I'm removing all parts, they do the rest.

The paint on it is well past its due date. The hood specifically has rust that came from knicks from road debris. However, a fair bit of the paint is also very weather worn. See pics. I'm pretty sure it has to go down to the metal. Input?

So, about stripping, should I instruct them to have it soda blasted then touch up where the rust is or should I let them do what they think is best?

I think they do more restoration work on american cars instead of german. Anything special I should tell them? (or all my fears of them hurting my baby groundless)

Andre
Thanks!

Old 04-20-2016, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

soda blasting is not the best way to go for steel panels . some swear by it but some paint manufactures do not so i tend to go on the side of the manufactures .

what your seeing on the hood with the rust spots will be twice the size after the finish is removed way to much to even waste your time to soda blast .

the checking on the fender will also need to be striped down to bare metal .

most shops do not blast cars them self's they are sent out to places that do the blasting for them . so let the shop and the blaster deal with the media they want to use . there are a few good ones they can pick from that will do the job and not screw up the panels .
Old 04-21-2016, 04:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Tks for confirming my thoughts 962.

It seems the media blast is the highest risk where they can really screw up the car with damaged/warped panels (as opposed to just wasting my money).

I found this link : Choosing a Blaster - Classic Car Sandblasting

So, basically my strategy now is to determine who they want to use for the paint removal and interview them with the info from that link. Maybe I should handle the transactions seperately for more control? I seem to be type A suddenly.

In denver btw. If anybody knows the better media blasters, I'd love some recommendations.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I would ask the shop how they want to strip it, and strip it I would. If it is the original color with no repaints, then just a DA and a box of discs should do it. If it has a couple repaints then maybe they have a better option.
1971 914-6 #0372
2016 Audi S3 DD
2010 997.2 C4S 6 Speed
Old 04-22-2016, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I used a combination of chemical stripping,sandblasting and DA. I'm having the fenders dipped because of the headlight buckets,fuel door et. I have heard horror stories about paint adhesion after soda blasting. I think blasting a 911 would be fine compared to large semi flat panels of big american cars.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
This is an '80 hood. Forgot when it was painted prior to the work done here but it was a few years prior. I paid through the nose for that job---should have lasted many years and didn't. New paint shop advised me this blistering is from rust occurring inside the metal. Hood was coated with zinc cromate and left sitting for a few days... then sanded off. Been 3 years since this last work was done and surface still looks good. Other parts of car are now getting this same blistering. Point is... painting a car is more than just stripping, priming & coating. Metal sometimes needs special attention---only someone who really knows their business would know what treatments to apply when.

Current: '80 Silver Targa w /'85 3.2, '79 Anthracite 930
Prior: '74 Carrera. '79 Silver 930. '79 Black 930.

Last edited by Discseven; 06-13-2016 at 02:49 PM..
Old 06-13-2016, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Dial 911

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dre View Post
Hi Guys,
I'm looking to get my 79 targa repainted the same very dark metallic green by a paint shop. I'm removing all parts, they do the rest.

The paint on it is well past its due date. The hood specifically has rust that came from knicks from road debris. However, a fair bit of the paint is also very weather worn. See pics. I'm pretty sure it has to go down to the metal. Input?

So, about stripping, should I instruct them to have it soda blasted then touch up where the rust is or should I let them do what they think is best?

I think they do more restoration work on american cars instead of german. Anything special I should tell them? (or all my fears of them hurting my baby groundless)

Andre
Thanks!

I have restored a couple of vehicles. On a 1970 911 T that we owned some time ago, the shop used automotive/aircraft paint remover. They taped all of the inside skin joints and anywhere that the remover could get into a crack. The paint was in excellent condition. It was a complete cover change. It only took two of us about 2 hours to do the whole car. It was them washed thoroughly and when dry it was power sanded with 800 paper. It then looked liked that it was made of stainless steel

The next step was spraying it with etching primer, then undercoats. Lots of block sanding prior to painting. I have a few pictures of it prior and after in 'my garage' if you care to see what I am trying to explain. Since then I have had another car done using the same method. It works great, fast and does not damage the body.

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.”

Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 06-17-2016, 12:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: