Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Spaying Upol Gravitex on gas tank

Finally got the gas tank ground down to bare metal and have the Upol Gravitex with schutz gun ready to go, couple of questions if anybody can help;

1. Do you need to prime the bare steel tank prior to the Gravitex application.?
2. can you use a spray bomb/rattlecan to prime the metal if necessary.?
3. plan on simply top coating the Gravitex with rattle can gray, any suggestions on brand or type.? (figured this would make for easy touchups)

Any help appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-16-2016, 04:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

you should not use the gravitex over bare metals .
you will want to prime with a primer made for bare metals .
i don't use spray can products so i have no idea what will work for a direct to metal primer in a spray can .
you may want to use upol's acid 8 on the bare metal . but check with upol to see if you can go over it with the gravitex . they may tell you to spray some of the high 5 over the acid 8 and then spray the gravitex . the reason they may tell you to do this is the acid in the acid 8 may delaminate the gravitex if you just spray over the acid 8 ??????
Old 05-16-2016, 05:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
962Porsche - I'm about to tackle this same project, I've read a few prior threads pertaining to this and have a few questions.

1. Color - I sprayed some grey gravitex on a test panel seems too dark. Is there a cmbination of white/gray gravitex to get the shade closer?
2. Gloss - gravitex has a flatter finish, can i or should i spray a gloss over the gravitex?
3. Or paint? Over gravitex?

Last edited by Jmorski; 05-19-2016 at 05:12 AM..
Old 05-18-2016, 06:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

yes the standard graxitex is to dark it has to be tinted and this can not be done with adding white gravitex to the gray . it will not have the blue cast the true tank color needs to match .

should be a semi gloss not flat or full gloss .

when the gravitex is tinted with single stage enamel it will have the proper gloss of the OE finish .
Old 05-19-2016, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Awesome thanks!
Old 05-19-2016, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: