Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Fiberglass Bodywork Question

I just fitted a fiberglass rear decklid to my 86 Carrera and am curious what my options are with the gaps, which exist on several planes. Basically, I have:

1) panels that are too far apart (pic #3);
2) panels that are not flush with each other, with the FG panel sitting above the steel quarter panel (pics. #1 and 4):
3) the rear trailing edge isn't level across the reflector, apparently because of torsion in the FG mold (pics #2 & 3). I can apply some pressure to the right corner and it will flex into a better position, but of course it returns when I release the pressure. (BTW, the decklid shocks have been removed, as I've read that they can cause unwanted flex in a FG decklid)

Is it worth it to add FG to the areas that are too far from the steel panels to reduce the gap, or is that more work than its worth for such a small area? (I'm sure the gaps will be less noticeable when the decklid isn't a contrasting color)

But with the sides of the decklid sitting above the quarter panels, do I add FG underneath the sides and then sand down until they're even with the quarter panels, height-wise? I guess I could add FG to the bottom and sides and kill two birds with one stone, right? If so, do I need FG cloth or mat, or will only resin be okay?

Any advice would be appreciated, except for snarky comments like "Should've bought a better decklid." Thanks.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Fiberglass is the way to make the panel fit correctly. Prep the area that needs to be added too by sanding with 80# or rougher. Clean very well. Use Fiberglass matt type material not the cloth. Make sure you get the material thoroughly saturated with resin. Since this is not a structural area, you can use type A resin. It sands easier than type B. Type B is for laminating and is a superior bond but for what you are doing Type A is fine. You will find that what you can do is limitless... Make any changes you want. Bondo/plastic filler can be used to make fine, smooth uniform finish. Then finish off with primmer. Adjust your hood to the body as best you can to eliminate work, yet achieve proper fitting... if the edge of the lid is to high , build the underside of the lid up with fiberglass and grind down the top surface, tapering it back to daylight the existing lid, (maybe an inch or so of taper). bob
Old 05-20-2016, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks, Bob. That's exactly the type of input I was looking for. This car isn't being prepared for a concours but, on the other hand, I have no experience with fiberglass or bondo. It's an ongoing project so I'm not afraid to try to learn new skills, as long as the price of (inevitably) screwing up isn't too high! I'll post back when I get finished. Thanks again.

Jeff
Old 05-20-2016, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

have fun...........
Old 05-20-2016, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: