Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

remove undercoating around head light buckets?

Hi Guys,

I had my fenders dipped with the hope that everything would be perfectly ready to go but alas, there is quite a bit of the ruber undercoating peeling or stuck around the headlight buckets. I cant quite get a wire brush in here to get it all gone so i can start fresh - how do you get rid of it?

I'm seeing these options
-send it back to the dip tank and hope all of it comes loose.
-discover some horrific chemical that can get it off and not kill me.
-remove the headlight buckets by drilling the welds giving me total access to clean, then welding them back on.

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Old 08-07-2016, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Occasional User

I think you are right to be worried about the residue in there - If the original company can't make it right, how about getting them blasted with something?
2009 Cayman S White, Full Cocoa - sold
1972 911E Silver Coupe, Pepita & Black - sold
Old 08-09-2016, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Drilling out the welds for the headlamp buckets removes quite a bit of metal. There are quite a few of them all the way round the headlamp. I did mine as there was rust in the usual spots and I wanted it gone gone gone. I replaced with aftermarket buckets. Its is very nice to be able to remove the buckets without taking off the fender.
Its not for the faint-heated or for the concors champion.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Yup. I defo can't leave it in there. Another thought I had was to make some plastic buckets that could be removable. Not sure if its weight bearing tho.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Same issue here, I was going to try and blast them.

Old 08-26-2016, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: