Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Can minor waves in sheet metal be fixed?

I spent sixteen hours removing bondo using aircraft stripper to soften it, scrape, repeat. One eight inch thick bondo is heavy across an entire hood. The weight of the hood now is noticeably lighter and I don't want to reapply a ton of bondo. The hood only has very slight waves in a few places, so minor I don't think a camera will see them, I can only feel them.

Will a body shop be able to straighten them back to perfection? Is this something I can do myself? If possible how is it done, what will it cost?

Thanks!
Old 08-25-2016, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Got photos??
Old 08-26-2016, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

the long hood is many times the hardest part of a Porsche to refinish, it is very flexible and if the person is not aware they can put to much weight /force on it while sanding. the previous person may have "loaded" it up to help them sand it out. work should be done with a "long skinny" labor board and the sand paper has to be changed frequently to keep it sharp. you really have to zen out thinking side ways and not down when sanding. if the hood was really that bad to begin with and the previous person attempted to straighten and developed oil cans than you will have to give it to a shop that knows how to shrink and remove the oil can. other wise ,lightly prime the metal and sand with the labor board to "show" the bad spots. you may be able to lightly bump up the low spots BUT REMEMBER the out side diameter of the low spot has to me lightly tapped DOWN at the same time..
Old 08-26-2016, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

primer and block sanding should fix it if they are not too deep hard to tell without seeing the hood in person

jerry
73 914 V8 LS1
83 Audi Ur-Quattro,black
Old 08-26-2016, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

primer and block sanding with long board should fix them if not too dreep, hard to tell with outseeing it iin person

jerry
73 914 V8 LS1
83 Audi Ur-Quattro,black
Old 08-26-2016, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

there are a number of ways to repair a panel with waves if that is what they are .
you could use a heavy fill primer (high build primer)and then file board AKA long board them out . true name is file board !

the question is what made the waves ?

are they creases across the panel ? if this is the case i have come across many times on the porsche hoods . they could be from a front end hit that pushed the hood up in the center?
they could also be from some dip stick trying to adjust the hood . it's not uncommon for unknowing body men to do things like stick a block of wood under a panel and start having at it pushing and twisting a panel to get proper gaps . because of the way porsche designs there hoods this will at times crease the panel .

Last edited by 962porsche; 08-27-2016 at 03:59 AM..
Old 08-27-2016, 03:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I tried taking pics and unless I same the metal clean the waves don't show up. These look like very minor depressions caused (maybe) by people leaning their hands on the hood. Definitely not accident damage, too subtle.

A bit of leveling with high build primer sounds like the way to go. Thanks for all the advice.
Old 08-28-2016, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

yea high build primer and block the crap out of it with 180 on a long file board and then reprimer and block again for top coating should do it in most cases . if your going to need to spray more then 3 applications of a high build with say 3 to 4 coats each you may want to skim coat the area with a product like USC icing 1st . over 3 applications of 3 to 4 coats for each application may exceed the mill build of the primer ?
Old 08-28-2016, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: